Billing/Salary for working at independent school

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
cjam

Post by cjam » Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has worked as a clinical psychologist for an independent school? Did you bill as a private contractor or were you put on a salary? Would you mind sharing what kind of money you made or where I can find this information? There may be some work coming up at a school near me but I have no idea how to value myself. I would also like to hear from any private practitioners on their billing schemes?
Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Spatch

Re: Billing/Salary for working at independent school

Post by Spatch » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 am

From those who I have met that have done this, it will depend on what they are asking of you and on what terms, and at what level you are pitching at. It will be different if it is an hour a week to provide some therapy to a student for a limited amount of time or if it is being a full time permanent member of staff providing staff supervision or holding managerial/budget responsibility.

When it comes to things like billing Probably better off asking in the qualified section on the forum or on the Facebook qualified psychologists group (if you are on social media)
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

cjam

Post by cjam » Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 am

Thank you Spatch. It would be an ongoing position, about 2 days per week. I would be doing individual and group therapy, family work, staff training and consultation, assessments, onward referral etc. I have about 15 years experience working in various sectors first as an educational and then as a clinical psychologist. I have, however, always worked for an agency (CAMHS, local authority, Court) and am clueless about how private psychologists charge (i.e. the average daily range?), or indeed whether a school would put me on a salary. I feel like I need to gather some knowledge on this before getting back to them but not sure where to look. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and any further advice/info much appreciated.

cjam

Post by cjam » Sat May 04, 2019 9:24 am

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has worked in an ongoing position as a clinical psychologist for an independent school? Did you bill as a private contractor on a daily rate or were you put on a salary? Would you mind sharing what kind of money you made or where I can find this information? There may be a role coming up at a school near me but I have no idea how to value myself. I have a doctorate in clinical psychology and am also a qualified educational psychologist. I have 15 years experience working in various domains (local authority, CAMHS, Court) but I have never worked solo. The role would be 2 days a week and involve mental health assessments, individual and group therapy, onward referral, staff training and consultation, implementation of whole school programmes etc. I would also like to hear from any private practitioners on their billing schemes? Thank you in advance.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun May 05, 2019 12:00 am

I don't think there is a single set answer to any of these questions. You need to bill an amount that you are comfortable with, that they find acceptable, and in a method that works for you. I'd say for 2 days a week it might be helpful to be an employee (so they deal with sick days, pension, maternity/paternity, NI and taxes) and I'd hope to get somewhere between matching and 20% more than the relevant NHS banding. But if they really want you, as opposed to "a psychologist" you might be able to negotiate more. I'd normally look at this in terms of funding supervision, training, materials, or guaranteeing you a desk or computer, or some admin support, and/or an agreement to review the hours and pay at least every 12 months.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com