Clinical psychology on Shortage Occupation List

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Spatch

Clinical psychology on Shortage Occupation List

Post by Spatch » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:55 am

In May, the Migration Advisory Committee reviewed the Shortage Occupation List -the jobs where a national shortage is recognised, and therefore priortised for immigration purposes. Interesting, Clinical Psychology is now proposed to be put back onto this list after a decade of being off it.

You can read the whole thing here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t_1159.pdf

This is what they had to say about Psychologists
Shortage indicator rank: 34 out of 105
Recommendation:Recommend adding this occupation to the SOL

Stakeholder Evidence:
DHSC state there is a need for clinical psychologists to go onto the SOL due tol imited increases in supply and significant increases in demand as well as high vacancy rates. They highlight the importance of psychologists for the Five Year Forward View for Mental Health which requires greater expansion of psychologists to deliver greater access to psychological healthcare. The response gives the number of vacancies for psychologists over the past two years at 698 in 2016 and 694 in 2017. The number of psychologists in the NHS has remained largely stable since 2009 with an increase of over 700 more psychologists from September 2009 to August 2018. The response from DHSC highlights the use of the Tier 2 (G) system by psychologists being very low over the past few years, roughly ten certificates a year are granted.

Recommendation:
We recommend including SOC code 2212 (psychologists) on the SOL. There is considerable evidence amongst the stakeholder responses of a nationwide shortage. In addition, the occupation ranks fairly highly on the shortage indicators (34th) and the vacancy rate has been rising in recent years. On balance, there is sufficient evidence to suggest a nationwide shortage
I think there are several implications for this. Firstly, it means that there is obviously plenty of work for graduating trainees and qualifieds (albeit not necessarily at higher bandings). However, I also think that these circumstances are likely to facilitate overseas trained psychologists taking up roles in the UK (which has its pluses and minuses depending on their training backgrounds in their country of origin), as well as non CPs taking up those roles out of expediency. I think it could also be used to argue for an increased number of training places being funded, which I understand the BPS/GTiCP are pursuing.

From a wider perspetive, I think the nature of that list highlights a political failure in terms of developing a fit for purpose health workforce (as medics, nurses and other AHPs figure highly on it too as well as other health and social care disciplines).
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Clinical psychology on Shortage Occupation List

Post by miriam » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Hear hear.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

cp2020

Post by cp2020 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Don't be discouraged...I'm an experienced American trained psychologist who is attempting to become HCPC registered. Considering this process, as well as understanding the Tier 2 Visa system and finding a position that even sponsors Tier 2 Visas, I think you have nothing to worry about!

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:49 pm

From speaking to my colleauges who trained in the US and transferred over here, my impression is that it would probably be harder for a UK trained clinical psychologist to gain licensure in the US than vice versa. I have a lot of respect for the PhD research focussed + practicum US route especially as it often takes 5 years plus, which often feels like a Research PhD+ DClinPsy combined, with the PsyD being more like a UK DClinPsy.

(I also think we should have our trainees pass the equivalent of the EPPP at a national level for our credibility, but I suspect I am in the minority in terms of that.)
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon

cp2020

Post by cp2020 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks. That is encouraging. Yes, the PhD route was pretty intense...I received my degree in 1987 -- imagine typing a dissertation on a manual typewriter and cutting and rearranging the paragraphs in order to edit!!
My concern is that since my training was so "ancient" it may not be possible to provide the degree of detail the HCPC requires, as it is simply not available, but I will persist....

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:15 am

Well, if the proposed Skill point immigration system is implemented people with PhDs going for shortage occupation jobs will score highly on the new system. (They would still presumably need to demonstrate they meet the HCPC competencies though if they want to work as a practitioner psychologist I guess).
Shameless plug alert:

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 pm

It might be a positive thing for the profession if more CPs from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA with doctoral level training are able to move here and take up employment, and less from Europe where the standards are more variable.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare