Calling people "non-qualified(s)"

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Calling people "non-qualified(s)"

Post by miriam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:12 am

workingmama wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 am
I don't think I have ever heard an assistant or trainee introduce themselves to a client/patient in this way. Literally never have I heard someone say 'I am the unqualified seeing you today'. In fact I am really struggling to believe this has been asked of an employee in the NHS. Perhaps things are very different where you have worked?
Indeed. The OP talked about the term being used as a shorthand when discussing minimum cover for staff shifts, or levels of accountability (and even then said the quotes were made up and might contain hyperbole). Nobody has said they have been asked to, or have ever, introduced themselves or been introduced to service users in this way. Someone implied that it might be said that someone is "not a qualified nurse" to clarify that someone like a NA or HCA without an autonomous qualification couldn't answer particular types of question (eg giving an opinion on the appropriate treatment option).

But just for the record, I've never heard anyone introduce themselves as "the qualified you are seeing today" either. Surely people introduce themselves with their job title, but also make clear they don't exceed their competencies by allowing people to sustain an incorrect impression of their qualifications or level of autonomy.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf