Locum CP Work and Bank CP Work

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
reishi

Locum CP Work and Bank CP Work

Post by reishi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi everyone,
Is there any difference between locum CP and bank CP roles? I was offered a job as locum but when talking about the details it came up that going to bank route might help starting faster. However, I am not sure whether there is any difference between both (in terms of salary, expense claim, requiring more/less paperwork etc). I will be working part-time. Thank you!

PS: I asked my interviewer about it and they will look into it but I would like to learn about others' experiences.
"Ever since psychoanalysis was developed, almost everyone is ill one way or another"

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Locum CP Work and Bank CP Work

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Bank is usually direct with the employing organisation, without a middleman taking a cut. So that is more ethical, and will be given higher priority, but it might pay less than a desperate organisation will to use an agency. Bank will probably be salaried via PAYE and have much less paperwork than the umbrella agencies or pseudo-self-employment options that agents often push for, where you may have to invoice or fill in claim forms and perhaps even declare your own income for tax.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

reishi

Re: Locum CP Work and Bank CP Work

Post by reishi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks, Miriam.
I had a chance to learn about the conditions for being employed through an agency and being bank staff. It apparently can change context to context but in this case locum work was indeed came with considerably higher pay. Fortunately, the NHS trust just gets the referral from the agency and puts you on their own payroll so you don't have to deal with umbrella companies and other nitty-gritty business. But I learned not every trust does that. Bank position had some perks as well such as annual leave and sick leave entitlement which could be handy longer term, but again it could be different for other trusts.
"Ever since psychoanalysis was developed, almost everyone is ill one way or another"