Clinical Psychology Career Statistics

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
BenJMan

Clinical Psychology Career Statistics

Post by BenJMan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am

Does anyone know where I can find some basic statistics on careers in clinical psychology?

I'm thinking along the lines of, number clinical psychologists employed by the NHS over the last few years, is it increasing, decreasing etc, whether the job market is getting more competitive .. and so forth.

It feels like there is a perception that the clin psyc job market post-qualification is getting more competitive at the moment but I can't find anything to back it up.. just writing as part of an essay I'm doing :)

Ta,

Ben.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

lakeland

Re: Clinical Psychology Career Statistics

Post by lakeland » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 am

I know that courses are required to collect information about where people go after completing the course for the Deanery that provides funding - could you ask your course for the data and see if any others will share it?

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 am

Potentially but I have already been told to avoid using my course as an example within the essay and trying to contact 30 courses nationally for their statistics over the last few years is a much bigger task than I have time for! :) There must be some stats on job in clinical psychology out there.. I just can't find them!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 am

The BPS suggests around 18000 chartered psychologists - http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/lcm

Finding out the amount of CPs employed by the NHS might be more difficult, as these figures will probably be divided into individual trusts.

edit - Maybe come at it from the angle of why there might be less CP posts? I'm sure you could find refs to back this up, especially in light of the national cuts or increase in CBT provision thanks to IAPT. Maybe you could make the same point without the numbers you're talking about.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Loula

Post by Loula » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I would think that this would be quite difficult to find- I know of a department that did a scoping exercise to see how they compared to similar depts in terms of staffing and they found it hard to get information. Maybe you could contact different trust HR depts and ask them how many CPs they employ and how this compares historically? I don't know whether this would be covered by freedom of information requests.

edit: I don't know if you've seen this http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topic ... Report.pdf but it includes a breakdown of psychology posts in Scotland and how they've changed over the last few years (they've increased a lot- nearly doubled in about 10 years)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Could you do an FOI enquiry to NHS jobs and ask them for how many jobs with clinical psychologist in the title were posted in each year since they began? If possible, they could sort them by salary/banding too. I'd love to know the result.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Both good ideas but beyond the time scale I have I'm afraid, the essay is due in 8 days :) I may look into it for future expansions though. Also thanks Loula, thats a useful paper :)

Pennypound

Post by Pennypound » Thu May 08, 2014 1:58 pm

I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone is looking for the answer in future i got the following data from an FOI request to Health Education England:

Employment status
LETB NHS Third sector Non NHS Research Unknown Total
Health Education West Midlands (HEWM) 36 7 43
Health Education Wessex (HEW) 12 1 13
Health Education Thames Valley (HETV) * 12 3 5 20
Health Education Kent Surrey and Sussex (HEKSS)** 28 7 31 66
Health Education East Midlands (HEEM) 11 1 12
Health Education North East (HENE) *** 27 4 0 31
Health Education Yorkshire & Humber (HEYH)**** 16 2 23 41

* 20 commissions in the 2010 cohort. 5 commissions were on behalf of NHS East Midlands. Data correct as at 31 December 2013
**of the 31 Unknown 7 were unemployed at the time the data was supplied.
*** The above data relates to students who commenced study in September 2010 and subsequently completed their study in 2013
**** HEYH only hold sector data on those students who found employment within the region. There were 10 graduates who found employment out of the region but the sector is not known by HEYH and are therefore included as Unknown. Information not yet received from 13 graduates at University of Sheffield and are therefore Unknown.

Pennypound

Post by Pennypound » Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Argh the formatting didn't post properly. It's in a table. PM me if you want a copy of the excel file.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 pm

You can take a screen grab of the table and then host it somewhere like photobucket and link it in your post as an image. Then everyone will benefit :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com