Heterosexual Male Therapists required for client survey TW

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Pink

Heterosexual Male Therapists required for client survey TW

Post by Pink » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Dear All,

I've been doing some work with a female client who has a deep fear and mistrust of straight/heterosexual men, rooted in a number of traumatic experiences. We have been talking about the possibility that some of her fears and beliefs about straight men are inaccurate, and she had a number of questions she wanted to ask straight men, but that would not be appropriate in the usual social settings. We have designed a survey together, and would be very grateful for your honest input and thoughts. I am posting with her full permission and consent, and will share the survey answers with her. I am deeply conscious that some or most of the questions might be experienced as hurtful or offensive, and please do not continue if that is your experience. I would ask you to remember that they are grounded in a worldview that has been informed by trauma, and that the author is opening herself up to those views being challenged through this survey.

*trigger warning-potentially traumatising material relating to rape and sexual abuse*

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MCFXY58

I'd be very grateful for your help, and would like to thank you in advance, because unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to do a 'thank you' at the end of the survey on survey monkey.

warm wishes,

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

Pink

Re: Heterosexual Male Therapists required for client survey

Post by Pink » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi Folks,

just realised the link wasn't working properly-sorry. You can now fill it in without being a member of SurveyMonkey-I've set it up so that i cannot collect IP info or any other data about respondents.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MCFXY58

Please do take part if you're interested.

warm wishes and many thanks,

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

Pink

Post by Pink » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Folks,

this survey has really had very few respondents, and I've found myself wondering if it is something in the nature of the survey or the questions asked that is off-putting to potential participants. If anyone identifies with this, and wanted to feedback anonymously their thoughts or concerns, the final question of the survey offers space for that, and the rest would not have to be filled in first.

many thanks,

Pink

@Sushipink22

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Done. Was interesting to reflect on.

I think lack of response may be more to do with the users of ClinPsy and the relative scarcity of potential male respondants who may have done this kind of work in the past and feel able to answer.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Pink

Post by Pink » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Spatch,

thank you so much-I really, really appreciate you doing that. Glad it was interesting for you. I think the questions are quite challenging. I think you might be right about the population thing: i've put it out on twitter now and had a fair few responses, so it's looking promising. I haven't looked at any of the responses yet, I'll collate them mid-week.

many thanks again,

Pink

@Sushipink22

Psychological

Post by Psychological » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Interesting survey Pink.

I just wondered why it was limited to heterosexual men and doesn't include bisexual men or "men who sleep with women". I'm guessing that's what group the client asked for, and without giving away any information about the client it would be interesting to know if heterosexual men are perceived as different to the bisexual ones.

Pink

Post by Pink » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Psychological,

yes, it's an interesting point you raise, and one we discussed when putting the survey together. I don't want to breach the client's confidentiality, and I'm not sure how she would feel about me answering this question. I think it's ok to say, yes, there is a difference in how people are perceived depending on how much power and prestige they are accorded in society, and a concomitant assumption about their experiences. I'm conscious that it's not the most satisfying answer to a thoughtful and complex question, but I hope you can understand the constraints limiting my response. Thank you for raising it.

Thanks again,

Pink

@Sushipink22

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:19 am

Hey Pink

i've filled it out, but I think I want to echo Spatch that this may be due to the reduced pool of potential male therapists rather than the questions themselves being difficult, as he said - it was interesting (and quite challenging) to reflect on.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

HedleyLamarr

Post by HedleyLamarr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Pink wrote:this survey has really had very few respondents, and I've found myself wondering if it is something in the nature of the survey or the questions asked that is off-putting to potential participants.
Maybe its just a bit time consuming? I certainly postponed completing it after I first had a look, I knew it was going to take me a bit of time to reflect on the questions and articulate my answers. It was definitely interesting to do though.
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Pink

Post by Pink » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:19 am

Hi Gilly and Hedley,

thank you both for taking the time to fill this in, and for your thoughtful feedback. I suspect that both of you and Spatch are correct-the participant pool on here is probably fairly limited, and I hadn't thought of the point about the time it would take, but of course you're absolutely right about that. I've put it out on twitter and had a few more responses now, so it's shaping up well.

thanks again, so much, to everyone who has taken part.

Pink

@Sushipink22

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am

Would you be happy for me to forward the link off-clinpsy to some het. male trainees, CPs and counsellors?
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Pink

Post by Pink » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 am

workingmama wrote:Would you be happy for me to forward the link off-clinpsy to some het. male trainees, CPs and counsellors?
Yes please Working Mama! and thank you!

Pink

@Sushipink22

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I had a look the other day but didn't have time to sit and properly think about the answers. I've done it now :)
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 am

Have sent link onwards with the note that I'm making no assumptions about the orientation of the recipients, but wonder if they, or someone they know, fits the criteria and can help out :wink:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Pink

Post by Pink » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Thank you Will and Working Mama.

I just wanted to post a huge thank you to everyone who has taken part. I've just looked at the responses so far, and they moved me to tears. So many kind, compassionate, thoughtful, reflective, skilled and empathic men have taken the time to reply at length, and I think the results will be deeply meaningful and moving for my client. Some really moving and thoughtful responses-I feel quite privileged and honoured to read them.

It's made me realise that there is so much I don't know about the internal worlds of the male colleagues/supervisors I have, most of whom I respect highly and am hugely fond of. It's funny that even within our (reflective, open) profession there are conversations we just don't have. It's made me want to research this further actually, because the responses are so moving and awesome, and I wish we could publish them, I think they'd be of use in clinical work for a huge number of traumatised women. However, I didn't seek the men's consent for this at the start, so will share them only with my client. Some of them I also want to ask follow up questions from, because the respondent has said something particularly illuminating or thought-provoking, and I'd like them to expand on it. I may put together a research project in the future!

my sincere thanks again to everyone who has taken part and/or circulated this survey-I really think it will be very powerful for my client.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all,

Pink

@Sushipink22