Research recruiting support workers of adults with LD

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
NicolaBrame

Research recruiting support workers of adults with LD

Post by NicolaBrame » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Hello, my name is Nicola Brame and I am a trainee clinical psychologist at the University of East Anglia currently recruiting participants for my thesis research study. The study is supervised by Professor David Peck and has ethical approval from the UEA Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Research Ethics Committee.

The study is investigating the wellbeing of direct care staff who support adults with learning disabilities in non-NHS residential and supported living services. I’m recruiting participants to complete an anonymous, confidential and secure online survey that doesn’t ask for any identifiable details about services users or employers.

The survey is asking questions about challenging behaviours, support given, sources of work stress, ways of coping with stressful situations, work support and satisfaction, social support, job burnout, and positive and negative feelings. It’s taking on average 35 minutes to complete and you can save the answers at any time and finish later. All participants have the opportunity to enter a prize draw to win one of two £50 Love2shop vouchers.

If you’re interested in participating please follow the link http://tinyurl.com/NBstaffsurvey where you will be asked to read through the participant information sheet and give your consent to take part before accessing the questionnaires.

Please contact me at N.Brame@uea.ac.uk or telephone me on 07581 065743 if you would like any further information. If you’re willing to pass on this information to any support workers you might know I’d be grateful as I’d like to advertise it to as many people as possible. Through working for three years as a support worker with adults and children with learning disabilities I’m really interested in staff wellbeing and thinking about how support workers can be supported.

Many thanks,
Nicola Brame
Trainee Clinical Psychologist
Supervised by Prof David Peck, Email: cademu1r@btinternet.com

srlb2

Post by srlb2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 am

I'm not eligible to take part in this as I've only worked with children, but I may be able to disseminate it throughout my workplace to help gather participants. I'll find out if I can and let you know.

Good luck with your research!

Srlb2

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

srlb2

Post by srlb2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:12 am

I've shared this around the networks I'm part of so hopefully you'll get some more participants that way!

Good luck with the research!

Srlb2

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

NicolaBrame

Re: Research recruiting support workers of adults with LD

Post by NicolaBrame » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 pm

That's great, thank you very much for your help.

snailboots

Post by snailboots » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Done!

Very interesting study - and has made me realise how much I love my job :)

Good luck with it all! :)

NicolaBrame

Post by NicolaBrame » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:35 am

Thank you to everyone who's looked at this post and shared the information or accessed the survey, I really appreciate your interest in this research.

Many thanks,
Nicola

LDWorker

Post by LDWorker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Is the survey for support workers in residential settings only? I could pass details on to the team that I work alongside, however they do outreach so tend to do shorter sessions with people, supporting them out into the community etc.

NicolaBrame

Post by NicolaBrame » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi LDWorker, since I advertised the study online I've received queries from support workers in other services for adults with learning disabilities who are interested in participating. So I've decided to widen my participant criteria to include support workers in non-NHS community services which would include activity, study or day services, as well as residential and supported living. Is it possible the team you work alongside would fall within these criteria? If you have any further questions please let me know. Thanks, Nicola.

NicolaBrame

Post by NicolaBrame » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi, I've managed to recruit 44 participants for this study which is great so I wanted to say thank you for everyone who has shown an interest, taken part or passed on information to others.

I'm still looking to recruit 33 more people before the 18th April 2014 therefore if anyone is interested in taking part in this survey please follow the link http://tinyurl.com/NBstaffsurvey to find out more information. Alternatively if you personally know anyone who is a support worker in a non-NHS community service for adults with learning disabilities (including residential, supported living, day, activity or study services) who might be interested in this research please pass on information about the study.

It's taking most people between 20 and 30 minutes to complete and all participants can enter a prize draw to win one of two £50 Love2shop vouchers.

Thanks again for your help,
Nicola

mr_tippy

Post by mr_tippy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 pm

the link no longer works?

NicolaBrame

Post by NicolaBrame » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm not sure whether there were problems with the link before but I just tested the link and it seems to be working now. Here it is the address again:

http://tinyurl.com/NBstaffsurvey

Thanks,
Nicola