Mindfulness studies....

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
NeuroPsych

Mindfulness studies....

Post by NeuroPsych » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Hello,

I am soon to be using a mindfulness based intervention within my research project and although I have a few ideas about what interventions i'd like to use, I came across something yesterday which interested me.

Has anyone done any research or know of any studies that use "drawing mindfully" as an intervention? I have been look around but cannot seem to find anything but I was interested to hear other peoples thoughts about it.

Thanks,
Neuropsych :mrgreen:
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken"
"It's about living your life, despite the limitations"

ell

Re: Mindfulness studies....

Post by ell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 am

I have never heard of 'drawing mindfully', though I suppose you can do anything 'mindfully'. Sounds interesting though. Seems like no-one else here has heard of it specifically?

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 pm

I have! I used this with a client just the other day funnily enough!

Can't remember where I read about it to direct you there unfortunately, but what I essentially did was got the client to draw an object that theyy were very familiar with from memory, then while looking at and focusing on the object directly. We then talked about the differences in the actual drawing details (focusing on the object 'in the moment' obviously led to a better, more accurate drawing) and also about the differences in the process - when drawing from memory, a lot of other thoughts tend to pop in, such as "i feel silly doing this!" "gosh, I can't remember" "when did I use it last? Oh yes, it was at... that was a fun day" and so on. When directed to focus completely on the object and make it as detailed as possible it helped the client to really become focused on the present and what was happening here and now.

I used it with someone quite young so I kept it quite simple and concrete, but for someone more cognitively able you could get them to think about how the pencil feels in their hand, how the muscles in their arm feel, the feeling of the pencil against the paper, etc. Maybe google 'teaching mindfulness to children', as it's a technique mostly used for people who are younger or less cognitively able as a way of introducing mindfulness quite concretely.

I might have got this from a paper - I'll check when I'm back in the office and message you if I have any luck!

NeuroPsych

Post by NeuroPsych » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Thank you Ell and AnonymousMouse, your replies were helpful!

It's not something that i've really heard a lot about and I cannot seem to find things in journal papers but I suppose like you said AnonymousMouse "you can do anything mindfully". It was something that I thought was different but also quite interesting. My research is with undergraduate students rather than a clinical population but nevertheless! :D

I think i'll try and have a look around and see if there are anymore papers out there (i'm sure some are hiding somewhere..)

AnonymousMouse did you find the paper? :)
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken"
"It's about living your life, despite the limitations"