Homogeneity in IPA studies, and the 'magic' minimum number

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
enid

Re: Homogeneity in IPA studies, and the 'magic' minimum numb

Post by enid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Thank you! Good luck for yours too. What is yours for - MSc or DClinPsy?

I am using thematic analysis (and this is for a PhD thesis - hence the numbers) so I think a bit different. Someone else transcribed them into Word docs for me, which was very helpful indeed (which I think you can't do with IPA). So I am currently coding the transcripts into themes and that is the bit that takes one day per participant. The analysis bit comes later but is easier (I hope) to manage as all the transcripts will have been coded up by that point. I am also using software for the coding, which again I don't think is suitable for an IPA approach, but it helps enormously in terms of making sure every single bit of information is coded and keeping things in a manageable format.

I have heaps of data though as the interviews were an hour long each. It is really interesting and in a lot of ways beats stressing over enormous spss databases and figuring out how to analyse quantitative data (though I am doing mixed methods so those days will also come). But it is so much richer and interesting.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 pm

enid wrote:Thank you! Good luck for yours too. What is yours for - MSc or DClinPsy?
Mine is an MSc - but even so... 6 participants sounds so feeble! Hats off to you though, sounds like you are getting there with it. When is it due? I've got till May and I literally can't wait to have my life back again... before I start applying for training of course :shock:

EDit: Just realised this is my 500th post!!! :cheers:
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

enid

Post by enid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 pm

and mine was my 300th post!! (spooky?)

My PhD should be written by November this year, hand in is December. I have a lot to do!! Good luck with the MSc, it all sounds manageable - I think 6 is a good no. for an MSc using IPA. :)

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Sorry I've been away and unable to reply - so apologies for my rudeness!

Ah I bet you can't wait to hand it in.. I know I can't! It will be such a great feelings when its bound and ready to leave me :D

1 month and counting for me.. seems manageable but I'm so glad I've got lots of time off work this month to get it finished otherwise I'd have to delay it again. I've been so scared of doing the analysis for a long time it made me really anxious and avoid it - seems like it took me a while to actually write on the transcripts after spending hours of listening to the audio and free associating with the text.

It sounds like you're doing really well with yours though 15/41 - not long till you're half way through! How long is it taking you to analyse each participant?
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

enid

Post by enid » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm

No prob!
Still on patient no 15 - so slooow!

Well it takes a day per participant to code each transcript (a transcript is an interview and each interview was an hour long). In terms of analysis, I guess coding is part of the analysis, but I see analysis as the bit where all transcripts have been coded and I am just sorting it all into meaningful sections. I am using a software programme for the coding (nVivo) which is good, but I think I will need to go back through transcripts manually to kind of triangulate the computer based coding I have done, to ensure I have captured all that I can, and I think manual checking will give me a different perspective.

How about you?

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:20 am

You're doing well! Analysis is taking me a long time too - I think that's because it was mainly descriptive. So I've been youtubing some videos and founds these helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7VuQxPfpk (there are 5 parts) and gives some good examples! As a novice to qual analysis it's been better than reading how to do it from a book.

Some of my interviews are nearly 2hours! So I'm worried about analysing those ones! I did think of using the nVivo software but decided against it for my first time so I can really get my head around it all.

On we go!

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Also, just found this - which has helped me to put things back into perspective again. Got a little distracted from my analysis - but brought me back down to some questions I should be asking of my data.

Great introduction to IPA in my opinion, also explains the epistemological position quite nicely.

http://prezi.com/dnprvc2nohjt/interpret ... d5144e6d06

Happy reading!