Research recruiting Clinical Psychologists! self-compassion

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Claire1112

Research recruiting Clinical Psychologists! self-compassion

Post by Claire1112 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi there!

My name is Claire Robinson and I’m a Trainee Clinical Psychologist at The University of Essex.

I am interested in recruiting Qualified Clinical Psychologists to complete an online survey for my Thesis: Self-compassion in Clinical Psychologists. I’m hoping that I've caught your interest already......! :)

I would be really grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes to read the participant information page that is accessible via the below link to the survey. Clicking on the link does not mean you have to take part – but may answer any questions you have! If you have other queries however I would be happy to answer them. My contact details are available on this page.

I am aware that time can be short in our role.... :shock: very aware!! But if you’re interested and think you could spare the time to contribute to this, I really do hope to understand if there are any possible implications for clinician self-care practices, PPD and teaching on UK DClinPsych courses.

For those trainees who may be thinking “but what about me?!” do not fear – a Trainee survey will be coming to you via your course administrator imminently!

PLEASE share the link with any qualified clinical psychologist colleagues you think will be interested in taking part! Share as much as you wish to (plus I would be very grateful!). Just remember, at this point I am only inviting clinical psychologists to take part.

This study has been reviewed and approved by The University of Essex Ethics Committee. It is supervised by Dr Leanne Andrews and Dr Syd Hiskey. Should you have any questions for them – you can also access their details on the participant information page.

Link: https://moodle.essex.ac.uk/mod/feedback ... ?id=197421

Thank you! :D

daydreambeliever

Re: Research recruiting Clinical Psychologists! self-compass

Post by daydreambeliever » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi, really interesting topic - couple of technical hitches I noticed though - my geographical locality doesn't exist in your drop down menu; your marital status options are also a bit narrow for my liking (I wouldn't describe myself as "married", "single" or "divorced"). I will be interested to hear about your results. Are you supplementing this with any qualitative interviews or just analysing questionnaire responses? Just thinking that qualitative data could help expand on why people answer as they do/ what type of questionnaire respondent would take which type of view on self-compassion for clinicians etc ..

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi!

Thanks so much for taking the time to complete it and for the feedback.
I completely agree with you re: the marital status. Many discussions with my supervisor were had (it was more extensive before) and in the end she wanted it to be as simple as possible. so for myself - long term relationship but still technically 'single' which doesn't feel right. Thanks for that though as i will think about it more.

And i don't believe it!! i got the list of UK counties from the most recent ONS survey!!! well we live and learn.... did you just leave that one out (it wasn't required was it).

And YES - i would LOVE to do qualitative interviews. In fact Andrew Gumley has just devised a structure for this in self-compassion which he is trialing now i think. I think to follow up with that would be great. For now this is acting as a 'snapshot' of clinical psychologist self-compassion. Plus, as you will know, this thesis has got to be 'do-able' whilst training (ive only ever heard that made up word 'do-able' in the context of training!) so i can only do quantitative for now. Makes for an interesting epistemology section....!

If there is any one else you think would be interested in this then please forward the link.

Again thank you for your time!
Claire

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04 am

Hi,

I've completed it, but I'm conscious that my responses are related to something going on for me externally at the moment, and therefore may be quite inconsistent - you can PM me if you want me to explain a bit more!

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:33 am

Hi Lakeland,

Not at all - I am so grateful that you have spent the time to complete it!! :D THANK YOU!!

As you know, all answers are anonymous therefore I wont know which one yours are. This is something that I'm not surprised at though - and is one of the reasons I'm quite passionate about finding this stuff out. I think i just have to admit defeat and do a qualitative follow up at some point!! :lol:

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi there, Just wanted to add daydreambeleiver, that following your feedback i went on a bit of a hunt for missing counties. Now of course i don't know where your based but one thing it revealed was that I didn't have LONDON in my list!!!! LONDON!!! couldn't believe it :shock: . I don't know what to say apart from Ive been looking at my surveys on a daily basis for about 6 months..... cant see the wood for trees??!

Anyway, its safely in there now....... im going to have some cake to recover........

Thank you!

daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:24 pm

Enjoy the cake Claire - in addition to London I noticed Glasgow was also missing, which is the biggest city in Scotland - not sure how the ONS survey missed these? :-) Hope recruitment goes well as the topic deserves some attention - also on the marital status note I can see why relationship status might be relevant for self-compassion and other compassion constructs, but I'd've thought the strength of the attachment in the relationship might be more relevant to capture to correlate with compassion than marital status? Also, what about people who are widowed, they're not "single, married or divorced" but may have had a valued relationship previously which developed capacity for compassion? And like you pointed out the engaged/ cohabiting/ long-term relationship group aren't exactly "single". Maybe this type of construct is actually harder to analyse in a quantitative way than with a qualitative method? either way good luck with it though!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Done, under similar circumstances to Lakeland x
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:17 am

Thank you eponymous85!!
And thank you Lakeland!! im going to gain alot of cake weight during this process.... May need to factor in a mindfulness run or something... :shock:

I don't believe it! is Glasgow a county or a city?! Im astounded by this!! I can see it now - in my viva slowly rocking repeating all the names of counties softly under my breath..... apart from Glasgow and London. I may shout these ones in shock.

The counties are important but they are not a factor in my data analysis (thank goodness) but allow me to get an idea of where my data is coming from and check its spread around the UK as much as is feasible. i.e. so i can see if my data is all from the north/ south/ midlands etc. im keeping a close eye on this!!

As ever please forward the link on to other qualified CPs you think may be interested. - I know recruitment wont be easy but i do hope people find this useful. If you want to, please send this link out to any CP email lists you can!

Thank you!

C :)

daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 pm

you're right to keep the area thing in perspective - not that big a deal in the big picture! I'm not sure Scotland has counties, they may be more of an English thing? Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland x

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:05 pm

"You have been invited as you are a qualified clinical psychologist currently working within the National Health Service (NHS)..."

***PLEASE ONLY CONTINUE WITH THIS QUESTIONNAIRE IF YOU ARE A QUALIFIED CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST CURRENTLY WORKING WITHIN THE UK NHS***

Oh, not me then? Are you meaning to be excluding qualified CPs working outside the NHS?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

janewah

Post by janewah » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:14 pm

daydreambeliever wrote:you're right to keep the area thing in perspective - not that big a deal in the big picture! I'm not sure Scotland has counties, they may be more of an English thing? Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland x
I'm aware this is a bit of a tangent and not related to the analysis, but just to add. Scotland has council areas rather than counties. So Greater Glasgow is under Glasgow City, with some of the suburbs being in different council areas like East Renfrewshire, or South Lanarkshire for example, but might still have Glasgow in the address. Just to confuse you :lol: For the purposes of a geographical overview I would probably just split by large regions, eg West of Scotland/East/Central belt/Highlands/borders..? Although to be fair in most surveys etc where I have to pick region there are normally lots of different English counties, and then just a generic Scotland option!

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 pm

miriam wrote:Oh, not me then? Are you meaning to be excluding qualified CPs working outside the NHS?
Hi Miriam, Im afraid I do. :? It was a difficult decision though. The reason was largely because i didnt know if levels of self-compassion varied between NHS and private, due to different organisational environments / service structure/ pressures/ cuts. Im not saying that NHS or private would me more or less compassionate than the other, but that i wondered if different working environments may impact the results some how. Im also using alot of NHS documents such as the Francis report and the Kings Fund Reports to back up my rationale- which are based in the NHS. This could be another thesis - but not one i have time to address :(

Also, I am using the General Health Questionnaire -12 as part of this study. the reason is to try and update the only 'stress and clinical psychologist' research we have from years ago (Delia Cushway's work). This was conducted with NHS CP's and trainees so i wanted to keep it as similar as possible. If i wasn't on training and didn't have competing demands i would have been keen to role this out into the private sector too.

Its been hard recruiting qualified CP's though - im kicking myself that im having to tun one down......!!!! :shock:

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:05 pm

janewah wrote:
daydreambeliever wrote:you're right to keep the area thing in perspective - not that big a deal in the big picture! I'm not sure Scotland has counties, they may be more of an English thing? Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland x
I'm aware this is a bit of a tangent and not related to the analysis, but just to add. Scotland has council areas rather than counties. So Greater Glasgow is under Glasgow City, with some of the suburbs being in different council areas like East Renfrewshire, or South Lanarkshire for example, but might still have Glasgow in the address. Just to confuse you :lol: For the purposes of a geographical overview I would probably just split by large regions, eg West of Scotland/East/Central belt/Highlands/borders..? Although to be fair in most surveys etc where I have to pick region there are normally lots of different English counties, and then just a generic Scotland option!

When you and daydreambeliever put it like this........ i wonder why I ever spent hours searching the ONS. Its so TRUE!! why didnt i just keep it simple???!!!! its amazing how thesis anxiety can make you do ridiculous things. And council areas! cant believe it! Ill have enough knowledge by the end of this to do a GEO101 exam.... :wink:

As ever - any qualified CP's you know...... and they don't mind that their county isn't a county or doesn't exist at all....... and they want to take part in this... link link link!!! :D

Claire1112

Post by Claire1112 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Just to add,I've had quite a bit of feedback to say that the survey is only taking about 15 minutes to complete?! i suggest 20-30 minutes so im wondering if i have over estimated it......!