Qualitative analysis

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
jade

Qualitative analysis

Post by jade » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice please....I have been working on research project through my current job as an AP for the past few months using focus groups as the main source of data. I have 3 focus groups pre-intervention and 3 post-intervention. I have no experience of qualitative analysis and am a bit confused!

I have downloaded the Nvivo software and had assumed it would pick out themes within the transcripts. however from my understanding of it (which is minimal) it seems as though I have to go through each transcript manually and separate these out myself? Is this correct?

If so does anyone know of any software that might make this process simpler due to tight time restraints I am under.

Any help much appreciated!
thanks
Jade
Have you ever thrown a fistful of glitter in the air?

HumourMe

Re: Qualitative analysis

Post by HumourMe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Jade

I am currently in the midst of my own qualitative research as part of my MSc Dissertation. My study uses IPA where I read and re-read my transcripts, highlight anything interesting and then manually name themes. This process is very in depth and I am not aware of any software that does this. My dissertation supervisor is very firm on the personal approach!

I would recommend the following books:
Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis: Theory, Method and Research by Smith et al
Successful Qualitative Research: A Practical Guide for Beginners by Braun and Clark

Good luck!

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 pm

I agree with the above poster. I don't believe any program can really do the analysis effectively, and thus will not fully represent your participants experiences. If you have spent so much time collecting data - why try and skip steps during the vital analysis stage and potentially miss out on interesting and vital findings? IPA is not hard to do if you get yourself a good book :) However I may be wrong and there could be a super program out there that does a very good job :D!

Loula

Post by Loula » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm

I've used NVivo before- no it won't analyse it for you, but it will make things a whole lot more manageable when it comes to your analysis and preparing your results.

What type of qualitative analysis are you planning on doing? Thematic analysis isn't too bad

enid

Post by enid » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Yes I would definitely second the 'use nVivo' message. You basically upload transcripts into the prog and then read through them - it's like Word doc, but you can drag and drop each sentence or section of text in to the relevant themes from your list of themes, which are a tool bar at the side. It's is infinitely more organised and 'safer' than doing it manually - as it highlights all the text you have coded so you know you haven't missed anything. The only drawback is you lose sense of the transcript as a whole a bit so I plan to also manually go through all of my transcripts, skim read, make notes on main themses and make sure they are all included in the list of codes. Once you get the hang of using nVivo it makes life a lot easier, but you need to dedicate time and patience to learning how to use it. It is not difficult though (I mean, even I got it).

Good luck! Qual is really interesting - just inordinately time-consuming so patience and positivity are key.
jade wrote:it seems as though I have to go through each transcript manually and separate these out myself? Is this correct?
Yes of course -there is no computer prog that could code your work for you! If only! Qual analysis is a manual process. Coding is conducted by the researcher - nVivo and the like just make organisation of it all a lot easier. For e.g., to do it manually you need a lot of office space.