Experiences of Cooperation and Competition Among Mothers

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
JigsawFeeling

Experiences of Cooperation and Competition Among Mothers

Post by JigsawFeeling » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Dear clinpsy members,

I am an MSc student in Developmental Psychopathology at Durham University (UK). I am conducting my thesis on experiences of cooperation and competition among mothers. Although there is research in cooperative and competitive behaviors in primates, research with human samples is limited. This project has received ethical approval from the ethics committee at Durham University. I am inviting participation from women who have at least one school aged-child (has already begun primary school). Participation would involve answering 36 questions on an online questionnaire. The questionnaire should take approximately 5 minutes to complete. To participate, please follow the link below:

https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/durham/eccam2

Laurel Korologou-Linden
l.t.m.korologou-linden2@durham.ac.uk
07707931779​​

Thanks! :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Experiences of Cooperation and Competition Among Mothers

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I gave this a go, but it was a little strange to try and complete some of the questions. I've got twins who are nearly five, so they play a lot together and don't have an identified best friend each yet. Maybe because of that, or the fact I don't do the school run, I haven't had the experience of comparing progress with a particular mother or experienced anyone feeling annoyed or jealous if my kids are doing better than theirs - though there was a little of this when I used to meet with other twin mums soon after they were born. Also, maybe we are antisocial as apart from family members and birthday parties we don't really do 'play dates' where a child visits without their parent coming too. Oh, and I'd be super-anxious about anyone caring for them that I didn't know well, but after careful selection I absolutely trusted their nursery and trust their school so I don't worry at all about leaving them there!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm not eligible to take part in this study as my daughter is not yet in school. I wondered, however, why you were a) limiting it to mothers and not including fathers, and b) why you were only focusing on mothers whose children were at school? My daughter is an only child and we live in a smallish village with no other children around her age around. Because we want her to be able to relate to other children, have fun with other children etc, we have made a point of taking her to lots of activities (Tumble Tots, Jo Jingles, parent and toddler groups etc) and she is now at a nursery school. I have to admit I was quite taken aback by how competitive some parents were at the groups we went to!! Even when the children were around 18 months (tiny tots still!!) some parents were trying to outdo others as regards their little darlings achievements! Maybe it's a feature of the part of the world we live in, who knows? Anyway, just thought I'd raise it as I think it would be quite interesting to see whether cooperation and competition begins earlier than school.

oldlady

Post by oldlady » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi,

I am eligible to take the quiz and found it relevant to my life - I wondered whether that was because I have older children too, but Geishawife challenged that!

One small point, I wonder if you could slightly tweak the question about whether you would be happy to leave your child with your mother - I would love love love to leave my child with my mother, but she died eight years ago and there was no way to convey that it did not apply.

Will be interested to hear your findings though - I had all kinds of ideas!

enid

Post by enid » Thu May 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Sounds intriguing!