Statistics books

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Criminologist_Lawyer

Statistics books

Post by Criminologist_Lawyer » Sun May 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I am thinking of doing a conversion course and I worry about doing well on research methods.

I found research methods quite a challenge during an intensive criminology masters. I didn't study criminology at undergraduate level and the teaching was very short and sharp on my masters - as a result, I still feel like I don't know much. I achieved a first in my undergraduate law degree but it was a gradual process with some very good teaching. I doubt without simple introductions to things I would developed so much in law. I wondered if there were any very elementary books out there that could get me started and get the basics in place for statistics.

I suppose there will be, but I wondered if anyone on these forum with expertise rated any particular book?

AnonymousMouse

Re: Statistics books

Post by AnonymousMouse » Sun May 18, 2014 9:56 pm

I quite liked 'Easy Statistics in Psychology: A BPS guide' by Mark Forshaw. I found stats hard to get my head around during undergrad, and that book really helped me grasp things. I still go back to it now and then to recap and refresh my memory!

Criminologist_Lawyer

Post by Criminologist_Lawyer » Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks! I'll check it out

scisci

Post by scisci » Mon May 19, 2014 1:42 pm

"Discovering statistics using SPSS" by Andy Field... cannot recommend it highly enough, even if you don't use SPSS!It explains research methods in a very clear and entertaining way.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon May 19, 2014 3:49 pm

got to second Andy Fields :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Criminologist_Lawyer

Post by Criminologist_Lawyer » Tue May 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks. I've managed to avoid SPSS so far. That said, I am sure it could be helpful. I used Excel on a small scale study that I coauthored in a decent enough journal.

NeuroPsych

Post by NeuroPsych » Wed May 21, 2014 10:22 am

scisci wrote:"Discovering statistics using SPSS" by Andy Field... cannot recommend it highly enough, even if you don't use SPSS!It explains research methods in a very clear and entertaining way.
I agree! It's an excellent book and a life saver :mrgreen:
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken"
"It's about living your life, despite the limitations"

JoR

Post by JoR » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Another fan of Andy Field's book! Helped me understand stats as it's written in a really engaging way.

Andy Field has also written a book with Graham Hole called 'How to design and report experiments' which I also found useful :)
'If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves'.
Thomas Edison.

Megzi

Post by Megzi » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:22 pm

I've always used the same statistics book since my undergraduate, which is geared towards using SPSS.

The latest edition: Brace, Nicola and Snelgar, Rosemary S. and Kemp, Richard (2012) SPSS for psychologists. 5th edition. Palgrave, London. ISBN 9780230362727

zeferis

Post by zeferis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 am

Deffo shout out andy field!
Very clear!