How Not To Do Research.....by Facebook

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Campion

Re: How Not To Do Research.....by Facebook

Post by Campion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:40 pm

miriam wrote:They'd get struck off if they did, as we have a Code of Conduct and a regulatory body to enforce our ethical process.

So when was Richard Lynn told he could no longer be a psychologist, or a professor in the same field? If you don't have any problems with his research, I really don't know why you have a problem with this.
miriam wrote:Anyone from any professional or academic background should be wary of extending beyond their competency.
Agreed, but my argument is that the remit of the study isn't necessarily beyond the competency of everyone outside of your field.
miriam wrote:I stand by the position that a team with no expertise in psychology or mental health is not in a position to be doing ethical research when it comes to manipulating people's emotional state.
Does the evidence reflect this proposition? Showing that people who see negative things write negative things isn't truly indicative of the emotional state of the author I would have thought. I for instance may recieve a number of updates about murderers and feel quite positive about writing negative things about the killers; it doesn't necessarily mean I'm sad about it; I could feel quite morally superior in my actions, evoking amongst other feelings, an unjust sense of pride.
miriam wrote:However, in this case, I suspect they've over-claimed and the research is actually about how changing communications received changes communications sent, rather than having any idea about the emotional states of the people involved. That is more within the domain of the researchers' expertise, but still raises huge concerns about experiments with human participants that may impact on their mood.
I concur to a point. It shouldn't be assumed to be beyond the competency of an entire field. There are plenty of people who have moved into communications research from other academic specialties, we aren't a particularly homogeneous group.

Campion.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:15 pm

And if they moved from any field with knowledge of research with human participants they'd know about consent and ethics.

This isn't about you, your integrity or the value of your chosen field of research, this thread is about this study, which was conducted and published without appropriate scientific safeguards.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Campion

Post by Campion » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:30 pm

miriam wrote:And if they moved from any field with knowledge of research with human participants they'd know about consent and ethics.
But that's the thing Miriam, in Communications we do know a bit about consent and ethics on the whole and we do research with human participants. Wether we move into the field from psychology or any other field, research with human participants does constitute a large part of our work; so we need to be trained correctly (and on the whole we are).
miriam wrote:This isn't about you, your integrity of the value of your chosen field of research, this thread is about this study, which was conducted and published without appropriate scientific safeguards.
Actually it kind of is about me. My field of study is fairly well known on this forum and I have written frequently about different facets of communications theory here; your original post was quite blunt in regards to those in the field of communications (as well as others), and I willingly admit to feeling defensive in return.

As for whether or not appropriate scientific safegaurds were in place; well, as much as I would like to agree with you based on the reports I've seen so far, I'd need more information than I have at the moment to be able to draw that conclusion for myself.

Campion.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.