Research experience

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Randomswirls
Team Member

Research experience

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 pm

I am beginning to think that the academic side of my form will really let me down and i was looking at my uni transcript today and realised that the modules I did best in were the research and stats one and it got me thinking that I enjoyed doing it at uni and I shouldn't be scared of it now!

I guess what I'm wondering is that I was thinking of doing some voluntary work one day a week and wondered whether that could be research based but I have no idea where to look for honorary jobs along those lines. I live in London and I'm currently working very much within service user involvement as a service user and know that some research uses service user researchers so wondered if that could be an avenue to explore?

Amina

Re: Research experience

Post by Amina » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi Randomswirls,

Yes I too was having a look at my transcript and had a similar realisation! I think in my case I must have forgotten all about my love of stats as it's been so many years since I graduated :oops: !

I realise this isn't incredibly helpful as this relates to Sussex and you're in London, but I know they have lots of service-user research projects and input here, which looks really interesting.

http://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/r-a ... ement/leaf

Maybe there is something similar in your area - this must surely be something that many trusts are thinking about? Good luck with your search for research-based experience!

Dice

Post by Dice » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi Random Swirls,

If you are looking to use both your research and service user experience and are London-based you could try the Service User Research Enterprise at the Institute of Psychiatry, the Mental Health Research Network's Service Users in Research Bulletin (which you can subscribe to and details opportunities, often to be part of things like service user working groups on large studies) and the McPin foundation.

The only thing I'd say is to have a think about whether you are looking for a role in which you want to be primarily a researcher, who also has lived experience to draw upon, or primarily a service user. In my experience 'service user researcher' roles vary widely and don't always offer the opportunity to develop a variety of research skills (e.g. they would be more accurately described as 'service user interviewer'). It may be that a role where your primary identity is as a researcher is more useful for clinical psychology applications, and if it is this that you are looking for then you could approach departments/ individuals at London universities who are doing research in areas that interest you, and enquire about honorary research assistant roles. Then when talking about your interest in the subject you could mention your lived experience, if it feels relevant, but focus more heavily on your research skills (because you wish to develop your skills as a researcher).

Hope that makes sense and good luck!

Dice

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:41 pm

You could try and contact your local MHRN, who might be able to advise. The IOP may also be of interest:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/depts/hspr/r ... index.aspx

aspiringpsych

Research experience

Post by aspiringpsych » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:48 pm

What about contacting any relevant charitable or voluntary organisations that have research departments?

Glorianne

Post by Glorianne » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am

Hi Randomswirls,

The Institute of Research in Child Development at UEL often take on graduate research interns, when I had done it a few years ago I did data entry work, some standardised testing and literature search type work. It was very basic, I was volunteering for about 1 day a week, but helped me get a foothold in researchwork and I even got an acknowledgement on some papers for me work through that. If you're looking to start at the ground level, it might be a good place to look into.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you!

There's food for thought here! I will start contacting some of these places over the next few weeks!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi

I thought I would make a quick post just to say thank you and give a brief update.

I sent a few emails out and eventually got in touch with the research department at the trust I work at. I met them and I am able to volunteer there which is good and the process was really easy so we will see how it goes!!! Anyway I obviously can't speak for all trusts etc but it may well be worth contacting them about volunteering etc.