Undergraduate research experience

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
LINOU

Undergraduate research experience

Post by LINOU » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to gain some experience as a research assistant, while still an undergraduate? I'm based in Scotland. Thanks.

daydreambeliever

Re: Undergraduate research experience

Post by daydreambeliever » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Have you asked around in your own uni department to find out if anyone could use your help (say over a holiday period?), particularly have you asked your research supervisor? They might be able to help point you in the direction of someone in the department who has research work you could help with?

zoe2893

Re: Undergraduate research experience

Post by zoe2893 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:38 pm

I worked with a lecturer/phd student throughout second year. I helped carry out a pilot study as well as doing lit searches for a meta analysis. We have a lecture at the start of each year saying if we want a research post then we should email the lecturers in our preferred areas of study, they only ask for 4 hours a week. Maybe just contact a few?
Nothing lasts, life goes on, full of surprises! You'll be faced with problems of all shapes and sizes! You're going to have to make a few compromises for now, but only for now!