Control study & When to ask consent

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Angel28

Control study & When to ask consent

Post by Angel28 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I am writing a research proposal for an assignment and trying to design a RCT comparing a psychological intervention group with a control. How do I decide whether TAU or waiting list control is best?

Also- when should you seek consent? It seems appropriate to say as soon as you make contact with a potential participant, so say the screening appointment- but is it ethical to seek consent before you've decided if they meet inclusion/exclusion criteria?

Sorry if these are stupid questions- research is not my strong point.

Thanks.

Iwona

Re: Control study & When to ask consent

Post by Iwona » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Yes, you need to obtain consent before you do screening. You should approach your potential participant give them information about the study and if they're interested in taking part obtain consent. If they fail the screening you simply exclude them at that point

Borrowed Cone

Re: Control study & When to ask consent

Post by Borrowed Cone » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:39 pm

That's not strictly true. You do not need consent to inform potentially interested people about your inclusion and exclusion criteria, and to give them the chance to check if they are eligible before they consent to your protocol. Many large scale trials and observational studies screen people before obtaining consent so as to avoid wasting people's time travelling in etc. (and indeed to reduce time spent consenting people who aren't eligible!)

In fact, screening is arguably part of the informed consent process, which may or may not result in their written consent to participate.

If in doubt, speak to your local Research Ethics Committee for advice.

The Cone
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."