Participants needed study BPD clients & therapy relationship

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
sdewhurst

Participants needed study BPD clients & therapy relationship

Post by sdewhurst » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi, thank you for taking the time to look at my research information.

My name is Samantha Dewhurst and I am looking for people who may like to take part in a piece of research I am undertaking as part of my Counselling Psychology Doctorate at the University of Surrey. The research aims to explore how people who identify with the diagnostic label of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) have experienced the relationship with their therapist. I hope this will be an opportunity for stories to be heard and to inform practice.

To take part in the study:

You will have been either diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder or Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, or you self-identify with the condition and feel you met the criteria at the time you were having therapy.

You will have had a therapeutic relationship with a psychotherapist, counsellor or psychologist in the past five years but are not currently in therapy.

You would be willing to spare up to two hours of your time to tell me about your experiences, at a time convenient for you, sometime before the end of May 2015.

If you are interested in taking part or would like more information [contact details removed until post meets requirements to recruit via clinpsy - mod]

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Participants needed study BPD clients & therapy relation

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Firstly this post does not comply with our requirements to recruit via our forum, so you need to add details of your ethical approval, which must include specific permission to recruit via internet forums, and the name of your supervisor.

Secondly, this is a forum for aspiring clinical psychologists. The rate of people with BPD here will probably be pretty low, and the results would potentially be confounded by the individuals' aspirations/experiences of being on the other side of the therapeutic relationship.

Finally, if you are wanting people to pass on the details of the study to clients, then a) you haven't said so, and b) we would want confirmation that this methodology of recruitment if covered by your ethical approval.

Until these issues are addressed, I am going to remove links and contact details from your OP.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com