Attitudes towards Aggression in Sex

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
mbaj0010

Attitudes towards Aggression in Sex

Post by mbaj0010 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:59 am

Hi all,

My name is Marie Bajada (email address: 13476589@lincoln.stuents.ac.uk) and I am currently studying an Msc Forensic Psychology. I am looking for participants for my online study, which is supervised by Prof. Todd Hogue and which has been approved by SOPREC (School of Psychology Research Ethics Committtee- source@lincoln.ac.uk). I am in desperate need for your help, ESPECIALLY UK citizens out there!!! If you have 15 minutes to spare please fill in my questionnaire. My study will be investigating whether people’s attitudes towards sexual aggression has an effect in identifying an act as a sexual offence and whether such act would be reported to the police, in Malta and UK.

Thanks in advance :D

https://lincolnpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/S ... 06Sx7XSrel

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Attitudes towards Aggression in Sex

Post by Geishawife » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:48 am

Done

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Done
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 pm

I'm confused. How can this happen without the person's consent: "The female friend and the male manually stimulated their OWN genitals whilst in each other's presence". Are we imagining that the female friend this happened to was masturbating when the man came in without her permission and masturbated? Wouldn't she just stop, leave or tell him he was unwelcome before he'd ever had a chance to touch his hand to his penis? Or did she discover afterwards he was peeping and masturbating? It is hard to rate a scenario when I can't work out what is being referred to.

Also, with simultaneously masturbating whilst online - is that during a video chat or a text chat? Do they each know the other is masturbating? How does the man know the woman is masturbating if she hasn't given consent? Same with the phone really. Also "they used a sex aid" implies co-operative action. I don't understand how any of those can be described as "without her consent".

And how can a woman perform non-consensual penile anal penetration when she doesn't have a penis?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

ems38

Post by ems38 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Done. Although similar to Miriam I found some of the statements a bit confusing, also in terms of the sexual attitudes questionnaire I think some of the statements may be difficult to answer in that some women are sexually aroused by consenting sexual activity where the male is dominant (for example all the hype around fifty shades of grey!). So in these cases the question is really of consent to the behaviour rather than the behaviour itself. I guess it also depends on what your definition of dominant is.

Anyway those are just my thoughts! Good luck with the project! :)

Monroe

Post by Monroe » Sun May 10, 2015 12:13 pm

I also completed the survey, and agree with the above post in that I think (some) women prefer a man to be sexually dominant, but only men they've consented to have a sexual relationship with, and not as a rule with men in general :?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon May 11, 2015 1:19 am

Indeed. Rape fantasies are highly prevalent, but they are not actually fantasies about rape because by definition they involve a recipient who wants that form of forceful and/or unplanned sex (so the fantasy is often about being irresistibly sexually attractive, and being freed from societal expectations about behaviour, rather than having an unwanted sexual act performed upon you by someone you are not attracted to). Similarly many people enjoy role-play that involves dominance, but they have given explicit consent for it, and usually have a means to communicate if they want to stop.

I'm concerned about how you expect to gain meaningful findings with such significant problems in the methodology.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com