Participants needed! Online survey - masculinity and suicide

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
celliott91

Participants needed! Online survey - masculinity and suicide

Post by celliott91 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi all, I am currently seeking participants to fill out a quick online questionnaire as part of the research I am conducting for my MSc Psychological Research Methods dissertation at the University of Dundee. Anyone over the age of 18 who currently lives in the UK and considers somewhere in the UK to be their 'home' (these do not have to be the same place but both must be in the UK) can take part. More information and the link to the questionnaire are below.

PURPOSE OF THE RESEARCH
The study will examine two things. For male participants it will investigate if men’s concept of their own masculinity and masculinity as a whole has any effect on depressive symptoms and suicidal tendencies as figures show men to be more likely to commit suicide than women. For female participants it will investigate what factors may influence women’s judgements of masculinity in men.
Please be aware that, for the male participant part, this research is designed to identify varying levels of depression and suicidal tendencies. As this is anonymous the researchers will not be able to contact you to inform you on what level you score. Furthermore, the researchers are not in a trained clinical position to diagnose you. For these reasons we cannot assist you in your own personal diagnosis. Should you feel you need any psychological help in this regard please contact your GP or speak to the helplines listed at the link below.

For contact details, more information or to take part in the study please follow the link below:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/J6RNSS5

Thank you in advance to all who participate, your time and effort is much appreciated.

BenJMan

Re: Participants needed! Online survey - masculinity and sui

Post by BenJMan » Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 pm

I did start this but stopped because the feel I got was that the test was looking for the views of heterosexual males. When I answered questions about feeling uncomfortable expressing affection to other men etc, you will likely see a skewed response from non heterosexual men. That's not a negative comment on your research, but it might be worth thinking about in terms of who you are advertising to, whether you factor in the sexuality of some of the people who answer your survey etc (as it wasn't one of the demographic questions).

You may have already considered these things and if so I'd be really interested to hear what conclusions you came to :) Equally if sexuality is unimportant and you think it wouldn't impact on results because you have other ways to consider it, i'd happily start again.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

celliott91

Post by celliott91 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi and thanks for your reply and the time you took to look at my questionnaire.

It's actually something I'm starting to consider more and more the more people fill out the survey. I'd never considered I might need to include sexuality as a demographic until just after I'd started getting participants but then I looked back over the questions again (that part of the questionnaire was taken from a widely used scale devised by a top researcher in his field so I didn't properly look at them admittedly) and it occurred to me just like it did to you. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do about it yet either. I'm hoping that since I'm really going along the lines of emotional restriction with my hypothesis the subcategory of questions about relationships with other men won't matter so much. Those questions also posed a bit of a problem for some other participants my boyfriend sourced from his army regiment who all seemed to be saying that since they have very close physical and emotional contact with other men as just a general part of their job everyday the questions were a bit pointless. It's definitely some food for thought and something I'm planning on getting in touch with the researcher who devised the scale about when it comes to write up time in a month or two.

Thanks again, all comments are always appreciated,
Charlotte

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Thu May 07, 2015 9:40 am

celliott91 wrote:...but then I looked back over the questions again (that part of the questionnaire was taken from a widely used scale devised by a top researcher in his field so I didn't properly look at them admittedly)
As somebody who is doing a RM masters, always look at your items!
To often are 'popular' scales used purely because they are popular, when in fact they are actually quite poorly devised.

Either way, I think on survey monkey you can alter your survey and add in additional options after the survey has been posted. Sexuality may be worth something investigating.

celliott91

Post by celliott91 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 am

Believe me I wish I had now, I just scanned them over because the scale is so well validated etc. Like I said though hopefully it won't matter because that subscale isn't really related to my hypothesis and we won't be looking at it particularly.

I considered changing it but over 400 people have already filled it in and I'm planning to finish collection soon so only a small percentage of people would actually end up having answered that question. Thanks for the helpful suggestions though, appreciate it.

Charlotte

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Thu May 07, 2015 10:20 am

celliott91 wrote:Believe me I wish I had now, I just scanned them over because the scale is so well validated etc. Like I said though hopefully it won't matter because that subscale isn't really related to my hypothesis and we won't be looking at it particularly.

I considered changing it but over 400 people have already filled it in and I'm planning to finish collection soon so only a small percentage of people would actually end up having answered that question. Thanks for the helpful suggestions though, appreciate it.

Charlotte
400 is a really good number, I'm almost jealous!
(I work in academia so I suffer from data envy ;) )

Good luck with the analysis :)!

celliott91

Post by celliott91 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 am

It's definitely far more than I was ever expecting at first. Think it's just a topic that really reaches out to people.

Thanks, I'm going to need it I think haha!

Charlotte

celliott91

Post by celliott91 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:39 am

Also just did your survey there Sarah, very interesting. Like the formatting of your Uni's online questionnaires, wish Dundee had something similar so we didn't have to use surveymonkey. Good luck with it all :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu May 07, 2015 9:52 pm

celliott91 wrote:Also just did your survey there Sarah, very interesting. Like the formatting of your Uni's online questionnaires, wish Dundee had something similar so we didn't have to use surveymonkey. Good luck with it all :)
The link is to surveymonkey!

And not to be a pedant, but the OP does not meet our requirements for recruiting participants via the forum. You need to give your name, your supervisor and state who has given ethical approval for the study in the post with the link to a survey - even where this information is available if you follow the link.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Fri May 08, 2015 9:10 am

miriam wrote:
celliott91 wrote:Also just did your survey there Sarah, very interesting. Like the formatting of your Uni's online questionnaires, wish Dundee had something similar so we didn't have to use surveymonkey. Good luck with it all :)
The link is to surveymonkey!

And not to be a pedant, but the OP does not meet our requirements for recruiting participants via the forum. You need to give your name, your supervisor and state who has given ethical approval for the study in the post with the link to a survey - even where this information is available if you follow the link.
Mine is hosted on 'surveygizmo' and 'Bristol Online Survey' (which I dislike massively...), if you were referring to my study :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon May 11, 2015 12:46 am

Ah, I think I muddled up who was who. Ignore me. Except about the rules to recruit. That bit I think I got right!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

celliott91

Post by celliott91 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Apologies, I wrongly assumed the info at the link would be sufficient (very new to forums etc).

Info needed is as follows:

Charlotte Elliott, studying at Uni of Dundee under supervision of Dr. Fhionna Moore and the Uni ethics committee granted approval for the research in March 2015.

Hope that's everything :)