Service Review/ Outcomes

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
rebeccasmith1201

Service Review/ Outcomes

Post by rebeccasmith1201 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:54 am

Hi all

My workplace currently has a lot of pre and post data regarding the therapy offered. I'm wanting to pull the data together to show the effectiveness, however I'm unsure what methodology and dissemination methods to use.

I wondered if anybody had any experiences they could share on how they did it for the service where they worked?

Thank you :)
assistantpsych.blogspot.com

n2526

Re: Service Review/ Outcomes

Post by n2526 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi,

Are you looking to show change over time - if so is this for individual patients or for all patients seen in the service?
Does therapy offered mean the same as people who engaged/completed in the therapy?

One idea could be to take the average pre-therapy score and compare with the average post-therapy score. If the mean scores seem different you could test this with a t-test.

As for dissemination, service evaluations can be written as academic papers, leaflets for patients, reports for commissioners or reports for the clinicians in your team.

Sorry if that didn't help much - hope you are getting on ok with it :)

rebeccasmith1201

Re: Service Review/ Outcomes

Post by rebeccasmith1201 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks for the advice n2526!

We have a database full of pre and post assessment measures, before and after therapy... so using a t-test does seem like the best idea. We have about 30 clients with full data set that we can use, would this be enough for a sample size working to p<0.05, with a large enough effect size?

The dissemination advice is really helpful, particularly as we're a private company so the directors may like the commissioners side (hopefully it shows some good results anyway!)

It's been a while since I've used my research head, I best dust off the cobwebs!!
assistantpsych.blogspot.com