Specifying my research question - Identity

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
julimoendchen

Re: Specifying my research question - Identity

Post by julimoendchen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:17 pm

Geishawife wrote:An MSc is usually a post-grad qualification. Scottish universities sometimes offer MScs at undergrad level after a 4 year course, but most institutions offer MScs as post-grad. I don't want to talk for alexh, but I'm guessing he thought you were an undergrad because your initial post doesn't actually state which level of degree you're studying for, just the subject. (alexh, please correct me if I'm wrong!!)
That's true! So sorry about that Alex, I forgot to mention that I was doing a MSc. Though, I still think you should always try to do your best, no matter if it's undergraduate or graduate. Especially in the UK it seems very tough as many universities require a 2:1 to enter post-grad. Belgian's (I'm actually Italian) are quite lucky, as they don't require any specific grades to enter courses, which is why many foreigners are attracted to studying in this country - and on top of that the low tuiton fees (approx 600 pounds per year).

alexh

Post by alexh » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes, sorry, my assumption. I think the point still stands though, even at doctoral level your project often will not and need not be career defining. Of course do your best but make sure the project is deliverable on time, and within budget :D

You do not want to end up trying to cobble together a report from the ashes of a a multifaceted plan that didn't work out with the deadline looming! As someone else said narrow the question, pick a method, get approval, and keep the goal of getting the MSC in mind.

julimoendchen

Post by julimoendchen » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:27 am

alexh wrote: Of course do your best but make sure the project is deliverable on time, and within budget :D
Simplifying and keeping it deliverable is definitely important and is also something I do struggle with - not with the delivering part but the simplifying part! I misunderstood your previous comment as in I shouldn't care about my thesis :)