UEL students needed for doctoral research!

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Watson

UEL students needed for doctoral research!

Post by Watson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi all my name is Alessia and I’m a trainee clinical psychologist at the University of East London (UEL). I’m currently recruiting for my doctoral thesis :o ! I’m looking for undergraduate or postgraduate students who are currently studying at UEL to take part in my research (apologies to other students, however, the study requires meeting in person and this will take place at the Stratford campus, UEL).

The study aims to explore the use of imagery on attitudes. This information will help us to think about and develop interventions to improve public attitude and reduce prejudice experienced by particular social groups.

If you agree to take part you will be asked to:
- Watch a 2 minute film
- Take part in a 5 minute imagination task
- Fill out a questionnaire asking you about your attitudes and feelings

The study will take no more than 15 minutes in total. There are no risks involved in taking part of this study.

For more information about the study and to book a date/time slot to participate please visit: http://imageryonattitudes.jimdo.com

I am being supervised by Lara Frumkin (Research / supervisory tutor) at UEL and Dr Katrina Scior (Senior Lecturer in the Research Department of Clinical, Educational & Health Psychology) at University College London. Both supervisors details can be found at the above web address. The Research Ethics Committee of the School of Psychology, University of East London has approved the study, including consent to recruit via the internet.

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: UEL students needed for doctoral research!

Post by Geishawife » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm not eligible to take part in this, but I was just wondering why you were limiting it to UEL students? I understand that you need to meet in person at the Stratford campus, but I would have thought that would not necessarily rule out students from other London universities? UCL, Westminster, London Met etc are all within a train journey of Stratford so I just wondered why you were not encouraging students from these institutions? Obviously you have your reasons, but I would be a little concerned that focusing on only one institution would limit numbers and possibly skew your sample?

Watson

Re: UEL students needed for doctoral research!

Post by Watson » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Geishawife, thanks for your message, definitely food for thought. There are a few reasons in addition to testing happening at Stratford, namely that UEL would only give me ethical approval for students at the university and having just returned from mat leave with limited time I’ve not been able to gain approval from other individual institutions. Also similar previous studies have used similar methodology so my supervisor and I felt we could better compare our results by following this. My sample will definitely be skewed, and will not be representative especially as it is limited to the student population. I’m hoping to be able to reflect on these things in my write up.