Another (different) deafness is MH services survey - 5mins

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
ShelleyB

Another (different) deafness is MH services survey - 5mins

Post by ShelleyB » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi all,

I know a link has recently been posted to a deafness/MH survey, but I'm conducting a different research project into the accessibility of NHS services for service users with hearing impairments and would appreciate
5 minutes of your time in order to complete a quick survey. The survey is open to anyone working in MH in an NHS setting (assistants, trainees, qualified psychs, nurses, psychiatrists, support workers, etc, so if you think it would interest someone you know, please pass it on!) - no experience of working with deaf clients is needed.

The link is here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DeafMH

If you complete the survey, there is an option to leave your email address at the end which will allow me to send you a summary of the research findings, once the study is complete (I know people said the other Deaf research was interesting and that they wanted info on the results!)

All info is included on the first two pages of the link, but in summary:
- The study is looking at the accessibility of NHS services for service users with hearing impairments.
- I'm Shelley Bartlett, the principal researcher and a 2nd year trainee at Herts. I can be contacted via the email address provided on the link.
- The University of Hertfordshire ethics board has given full ethical approval for the study, including recruitment via the internet.

Thanks very much in advance everyone :)

ShelleyB

Re: Another (different) deafness is MH services survey - 5mi

Post by ShelleyB » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:44 pm

I just wanted to say a quick but heartfelt thank you to everyone who's taken part in this survey so far; the response has been phenomenal and the survey has reached much further (geographically and otherwise) than it could have been without the aid of this website and all the wonderful people who make this clinpsy community what it is. Thank you all! :D :cheers: :D

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:15 am

I completed the survey, but I wanted to raise a gentle query about your title - "Are calls for accessible services falling on deaf ears?" A lot of disabled people are uncomfortable about using disability-related metaphors to suggest political, practical, or moral failings. I'd be a bit careful with using a title that links deafness with refusal/unwillingness to listen to others, especially given the context.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

ShelleyB

Post by ShelleyB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi Lingua-franca,

Many thanks for completing the survey, and for the feedback. I've actually had similar feedback from someone else and it's certainly something I plan on amending going forwards with the research; I had spoken to Deaf friends about the survey before it went out and they liked it because it showed the distinction between "Deaf ears" and "deaf ears", but it does appear uncomfortable for some (for different reasons) and I guess this just goes to show careful I have to be in the future in generalising my assumptions/past experiences... a definite learning point for me. I sincerely apologise if I caused you any offence.

Many thanks again for completing it and for the feedback - both much appreciated.