Determinists wanted for exciting new research study

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
bob1

Determinists wanted for exciting new research study

Post by bob1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Are you a clinical psychologist
Do you deliver psychological therapy as part of your job?
Do you identify yourself as a determinist?
Do you think humans have no free-will?

If your answer to all the above questions is “yes”, and you would like to find out more about volunteering for a research project giving voice to determinist clinical psychologists, please email me (Isabel Brunton, icb013@googlemail.com) for more info! Thank you.

This study has been reviewed and granted ethical approval by the University of Hertfordshire Health and Human Sciences Ethics Committee with Delegated Authority. The UH protocol number is LMS/PGR/UH/02004
Last edited by miriam on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to merge duplicated threads and remove block capitals from title

bob1

Determinism

Post by bob1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi all. I am conducting a study exploring how clinical psychologists who hold a (hard) determinist philosophy make sense of their role as therapists.

I have advertised in quite a few places for participants (BPS magazine, BPS DCP forum, Linked-In, the research thread of this forum!) However, I am struggling to recruit the number of participants I need.

Anyone got any advice for me ???? Anyone know any clinical psychologists that believe in determinism?

If anyone would be kind enough to take part in my research, please contact me (icb013@googlemail.com) for more info. Or, please pass the message on to people you know who you think might be interested in participating in my research, and ask them to contact me!

The research on determinism and its relation to clinical psychology is really lacking and my study is the first of its kind to start addressing this issue, so I really want to ensure I have enough participants to carry it out!

please help! Thank you very very much!

Isabel Brunton
(icb013@googlemail.com or see me on LinkedIn)

sarahg

Re: Determinism

Post by sarahg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Would you be able to provide more information regarding the ethics for your study?
Including whether you have received ethical approval from a research institute...

bob1

Re: Determinism

Post by bob1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:02 pm

apologies ...

the study has been granted ethical approval by the the University of Hertfordshire Health and Human Sciences Ethics Committee with Delegated Authority. The UH protocol number is aLMS/PGR/UH/02004(1).

I am a DClinPsy final year trainee, and this research is being conducted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the University of Hertfordshire degree of Doctor of Clinical Psychology. I am passionate about this topic, and thus in addition to submitting the research to the university as part of the DClinPsy requirements, it is also my full intention to publish the findings in a peer reviewed journal.

I can provide a full information pack with details of the study etc... upon request.

In brief - the study is an IPA study. I wish to interview clinical psychologists who are also determinists, about how they make sense of their role as therapists (given their philosophical beliefs).

I have been granted permission to conduct interviews either in person, or via phone.

If you or others are interested in participating, I can facilitate whichever method of interview best suits.

I'd love to hear from anyone who could help me out by participating (icb013@googlemail.com / i.brunton@herts.ac.uk).

Thank you very much for your interest,

Kind regards,

Isabel

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Determinists wanted for exciting new research study

Post by miriam » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:51 am

You may need to define determinism so people can see whether they are one.

Also, with my moderator hat on, I'm going to ask you to read the forum guidance as you've broken both the rule on cross posting and the rule on using all caps in the title, as well as the rules for recruiting research participants on the forum, which Sarah has kindly helped with.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:07 am

I'm quite intrigued by this study as I wouldn't imagine that there are many CPs who take a determinist approach, certainly not as you have defined it. It looks as though you're covering some interesting crossover ground between psychology and philosophy, though.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

bob1

Post by bob1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks Lingua_franca! I think it's interesting too! I am getting a few participants slowly coming through, but it is hard to recruit - partly because there may not be any out there, but partly, I'm discovering, because people don't always feel comfortable "admitting" their views - which is a shame! and I hope this research will help to highlight some of the positive aspects of this belief in the therapeutic process.

Best, and thanks for your interest,

Isabel

bob1

Post by bob1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Thank you Miriam

Apologies. I have now read the info on research. What should I do? would you like me to change the post somehow?

Please let me know,

kind regards,

Isabel

p.s. if one has any advice for me on recruiting for this study, please let me know! thank you

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:45 pm

I already merged the two threads and edited the title, whilst Sarah got you to give the required information about ethics, so you are now okay to post here (hence the thread still being visible - we remove the ones that don't comply).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

bob1

Post by bob1 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks Miriam.

Anyone any tips on how to recruit for this research???

I desperately need 1 or 2 more participants!! If you are interested in participating but not sure you meet the criteria - please drop me an email!

Would LOVE to hear from anyone interested in taking part!

Please also spread the word!

thank you for your help