Personality Assessment Inventory vs. MMPI

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
thelawofattraction

Personality Assessment Inventory vs. MMPI

Post by thelawofattraction » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Hello all,

I am looking for some help regarding the use of the PAI and the MMPI. I don't know too much about either but I am trying to collate a document which assesses the usefulness (time-wise or other) of either measure, whether one is more valid than the other or if there are articles online that you know of which compare these measures.

Any help greatly appreciated!

thanks

astra

Re: Personality Assessment Inventory vs. MMPI

Post by astra » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm wondering what your purpose is in asking this? Is it for an essay question at uni perhaps? Or is it a work project you're engaged in? Either way you should have access to some online journals to do a literature search at least, or a university library perhaps.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

thelawofattraction

Post by thelawofattraction » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:00 am

Hi Astra,

It's for Uni! I'm finding it difficult with literature searches to find samples in a mental health setting, most seem to be on students.

Was just checking to see if anyone knew of anything off the tops of their heads!

Will keep searching!

Thanks

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:36 pm

MMPI has masses of research published which makes it really robust to interpret, but its long and cumbersome, and most of the normative data is American. I don't know the other one.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I believe the PAI is quicker to administer but don't know who it's been tested on.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:41 pm

If it is for university, nobody here will be able to give you a better/more comprehensive answer than you reading relevant papers.

If it were me, I would try to think about the criteria in which I would like to compare the two measures on, and then narrow my search down using those criteria. Create a table for your findings.

astra

Post by astra » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:31 am

A lot of the people on here are not at uni and as such don't have such good access to journals as students do, so really we should be asking you to do our lit searches, not the other way around! I would however be really interested in your findings when you do get hold of the relevant info.

thelawofattraction

Post by thelawofattraction » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi Astra,

Apologies if my post came across in a manner which I did not intend. I am indeed in University completing my masters degree, however, I do recall assisting others on this forum and elsewhere when I was not in University but had knowledge of authors/articles which were of benefit to those individuals - even though I was not attending university at that time.

I was not intending for anyone to conduct a literature review for me, merely enquiring if anyone had came across such research and who could point me in the right direction.

I believe this is a forum for sharing information/ideas/opinions and was just interested to see if other's had investigated the benefits or downfalls of using one measure over the other.

I will continue my search and thanks everyone for your help,