Participants needed for survey on interracial relationships

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
oliviajulienne

Participants needed for survey on interracial relationships

Post by oliviajulienne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi my names Olivia and I am conducting some research on interracial relationships. The study requires you to possibly read an article and then you will answer some questions about your attitudes. Your honesty is essential for this research, and your identity will be completely anonymous as your responses cannot be linked to you in any way.

I am conducting the research as part of my Msc at the University of Sussex, under the supervision of Jenny Paterson and Rupert Brown. I received ethical approval through the School of Psychology Ethics Committee (crecscitec@sussex.ac.uk), which states I can recruit online.

I would really appreciate your participation, and for this you will be entered into a prize draw for £25!

Please follow this link if you wish to participate: https://www.sussex.ac.uk/psychology/oj36.php

sarahg

Re: Participants needed for survey on interracial relationsh

Post by sarahg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 pm

The topic is great, but unfortunately I think the design of your study will not result in the desired outcomes.

However, I would love to hear the results from your study when you have them (and I hope I am proven wrong)!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:13 am

I've done this, and would agree it's a worthy topic, but I have a couple of observations:

1) I agree with Sarah that the design seems unlikely to elicit accurate information (I suspect your data will be heavily skewed!)

2) Your questions don't acknowledge the variety of interracial relationships possible. Black and white is not the only interracial mix but the questions, as posed, don't reflect this. Might be worth considering in your write up.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:12 pm

"answer the following questions truthally"??

I have to say I agree with other people. Its a really simplistic survey. I've put some thoughts in white below, so that people can highlight with the mouse to read them after responding if they wish and I don't skew your results. In short, I think the design of your research is problematic, but the conversation it opens is pretty interesting, so maybe we should split it off somewhere.

First and foremost: Ethnicity isn't only composed of race, and race isn't black and white. There may be many other variables, such as religion and culture that are much more important to people than skin colour, even where matched or mismatched ethnicity is a salient issue, and skin colour varies within your two dichotomous categories (for example, I remember a filipino friend of mine saying she had been brought up to view darker skinned filipinos as being less attractive/high status than those who were paler; whilst someone like Rashida Jones may appear "white" to a naive viewer, but identifies as both African-American/Black and Jewish, and has talked about struggling with other people's perceptions of whether she was "black enough" in her identity and behaviour). Plus the article example I was presented to prime participants didn't sound at all plausible, so it was clear it was manipulated.

I found myself having two possible ways of answering the last question - as a white British person (which I identify as, and have many friends who also share this identity) and as a second generation immigrant to the UK of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage (which I don't identify as or have friends who share as part of their identity). Likewise, when asked if I would have a relationship or a one night stand with a white/black person, am I supposed to answer as a person in a long-standing monogamous relationship (not interested in anything with anyone apart from my existing partner) or as if I was seeking a relationship partner?

And as a general qualitative note, skin colour is so far down on the list of considerations that I or anyone I know would judge a person on it would literally be like the brand of car they drive. It might have an indirect on their experiences or personality, which would be much more salient qualities, but I would generally form my impressions based on personality, opinions, and attributes, and perhaps their achievements - because these factors are within an individual's control to a greater degree, and are more than just skin deep. So, for example, I'm attracted to someone as a potential partner if they are kind, funny, insightful and hard working, and the main physical attributes that attract me (perhaps due to how short my family is) are men who are tall, with warm masculine hands (thankfully I got both). I've never dated a non-white guy because as a teenager I lived in places with fairly low ethnic diversity, and I met my husband at the age of 20 and haven't looked elsewhere since. But it doesn't mean that race was part of my criteria. And I would judge my friends and relatives' choices of partners predominantly by whether or not they made my friend/relative happy, and then by their personality, opinions and attributes as above. So I found myself just ticking "approve" for every single answer!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Agreed, Miriam, this could be an interesting topic for discussion in a new thread. Not sure where would be best, but it would be interesting to hear other opinions on the issues you raise. I'll save my thoughts for now!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Maybe we could make a broader thread related to the themes that have come out of it? I think the questions I've been left with are:
- What defines identity?
- How much of this is ethnicity?
- How much of 'ethnicity' is skin colour?
- To what degree do we seek partners of similar identity?
- Is this to do with social pressures, an instinctive desire to partner with someone with similar values, familiarity, or just personal taste?
- To what degree to we have a conscious choice over what we are attracted to in a partner?
- And if choice is not conscious, is it genetic, instinctive, hormonal or learnt?
- And if some of choice is learnt, how much can this be changed by later experience?
- It seems that as with gender and sexuality, some progress has been made in shifting towards greater inclusivity and reduced tolerance of outright prejudice about race in most of the westernised world (although it seems the recent tensions around immigration and the rise of islamist terrorism have set things back considerably in this regard). But is this march towards equality being resisted in particular pockets within society and if so, what defines these pockets?
- Are they generally the edges of the bell curve, or are they defined by aspects of their culture?
- I tend to assume that fear is the main motivation, but is this equally true whether we are considering racists from the majority ethnic group or minorities trying to preserve their culture and identity?

I'm meandering away from the original topic, but it seems like fertile ground for further discussion.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com