Participants wanted: Childhood experiences and personality traits.

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Jac79

Participants wanted: Childhood experiences and personality traits.

Post by Jac79 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello

I am currently looking for participants to complete an online survey for my MSc in Research Methods in Psychology at the University of Hertfordshire.

The projects aims to consider associations between childhood experiences and personality traits using an online Qualtrics questionnaire. It has ethics approval from the University of Hertfordshire. All the details of this and further details about the project are in an information sheet at the beginning of the survey. I am being supervised by Professor Keith Laws. Anyone over 18 can participate.

For further information or questions please contact me on here or my e mail address is on the information sheet on the survey.

https://herts.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... CgNNreUb4x

Many thanks

Jess

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
JB99

Re: Participants wanted: Childhood experiences and personality traits.

Post by JB99 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Interesting study. I have completed the survey.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue May 21, 2019 10:58 pm

I've done it too. Seems quite interesting.

There are a few formating oddities (hard returns where they shouldn't be, changes of font size) and some ambiguous questions (eg there are plenty of my sociopolitical beliefs might be seen as odd/bizarre/unusual by a proportion of the population), and I didn't know what to make of the first attentional item, as I initially thought you were asking the degree to which I felt I ought to click agree - so you might want to put some quote marks to clarify that one.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Jac79

Post by Jac79 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:10 am

That's helpful feedback. Thanks

JB99

Post by JB99 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 am

Interestingly, I followed exactly the same behavioural pattern as you Miriam, in response to the attention Qs.

I do think the inclusion of such attention questions is a really good idea though. I've not seen it before, but what I have seen the consequences of lost attention or rushed inaccurate responding patterns. If I ever do questionnaire based research, I will have to use this.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I think the preparatory statement: 'Although it is unlikely, you may experience some emotional distress when completing questions regarding any experience of physical, emotional and sexual abuse' is entirely unsupportable. Some of the examples you ask about are very specific and will certainly not be uncommon if asking a number of people these questions. Stating that it is unlikely that someone MAY feel SOME emotional distress when asking about forced sex and emotional abuse over a number of questions is surprising to me. I'm not sure I could have got something like this through our local ethics panels without agreeing to put further information in the preamble.

Personally I found it reasonably distressing based on a minimal experience of some of the aspects of these questions. I'm not sure how I'd have felt if I'd read these 20 years ago, or been less robust. Genuinely, I am really quite surprised that no-one else commented on the type of questions int he thread above.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Actually, on consideration I have mailed the supervisor. I don't feel that a questionnaire that gives specific examples of types of abuse and asks the respondent to state how often this happened and how they felt about it is suitable for general completion without a very different piece of participant information. I'm sorry Jess, but this would have the real risk of retraumatisation for lots of people and I can't not make a comment on that. Happy to discuss.
Fail, fail again, fail better.