Publishing for the very first time

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
wendypan

Publishing for the very first time

Post by wendypan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Hello everybody :)

I am a psychology graduate, and am currently attempting to get a job as an AP. Aside from this, I have been thinking about carrying out my own research. My dissertation was based on a quantitative method (experiment), however, this time I wanted to dive into a qualitative method. I already have some ideias about exactly how I would do this, however, I have no ideia where to begin in terms of getting it published once I am finished :S

Upon doing some research, I found that the Clinical Psychology forum accepts to publish research from people at any points of their career, so I am assuming that this means I am welcomed to contact them given that I am no longer a Psychology Student nor am I a Psychology professional (for now :P). On another hand, I have no ideia how to gain ethical approval for this research, given that I am obviously no longer a student at my previous university :/ On their forum they state "Where approval has not been sought, the authors should account for the lack of ethical scrutiny and what steps were taken to ensure that the research was ethically conducted". So, am I right in thinking that it is okay if I am not able to obtain ethical approval? However, if this is the case, could this make my research less attractive for publication?

I would really appreciate if someone could shed light on these issues for me :)

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Publishing for the very first time

Post by miriam » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:19 pm

You shouldn't be doing research that requires ethical approval if you are not within an organisation that gives you access to an ethics committee. That doesn't mean you can't do publishable research at all, it just means that you need to do so as a volunteer in a bigger organisation, or that you need to stick to doing something that doesn't raise any ethical issues by having participants, like a topic review, meta-analysis or secondary analysis of existing data. For example, it would be perfectly ethical for someone to analyse and write up the stressometer ratings that members here gave, or for my AP to undertake an audit of my past reports and to write up the findings. But it wouldn't be okay to put up a survey on facebook/twitter to ask people about their mental health history and to fill in a measure because you want to write a paper about it. Does that make sense?

Any person can submit a paper for publication. This is then sent out by the relevant journal for peer review. If it is within the range of topics covered by that journal, and of the standard they require, then it will be published (often about six months after acceptance). It would be very ambitious to think that a solo researcher at graduate level would produce novel research of a standard publishable in a journal with an impact rating, but you might have more success with a professional publication that is halfway to being a membership newsletter like CPF. But they won't correspond with you about a potential publication and tell you what to do or how to write it. They just have a standard guidance for submissions document that you refer to, so that your article has the right style, format and length.

From your post it seems possible that you lack the knowledge and confidence to do research without a supervisor, so I suspect you are better off approaching academic or clinical psychs to see if you can volunteer to assist in their research than doing your own.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

wendypan

Post by wendypan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Dear Miriam,

Thank you so much for the advice. I see what you mean, and do admit that it might be very ambitious of me to do this on my own. However, I just have no ideia where to find psychologists who would accept me as a volunteer :/

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:48 pm

wendypan wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 pm
Dear Miriam,

Thank you so much for the advice. I see what you mean, and do admit that it might be very ambitious of me to do this on my own. However, I just have no ideia where to find psychologists who would accept me as a volunteer :/
As I said, you should contact psychologists working in local universities and offer to volunteer with them. It might be that a local CP would be willing, but this is likely to depend on whether they have any research ongoing.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

wendypan

Post by wendypan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:55 pm

I see :) Thank you for the advice!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:58 am

You could also look for jobs as a research assistant as well as AP posts. Keep an eye on jobs.ac.uk. Most RA roles will require you to be educated to at least Master's level, but occasionally there are some open to BSc graduates.

I've also seen some really interesting psychology PhD studentships popping up lately, which involve direct work with various client groups. They're listed on jobs.ac.uk as well. It's a good way to get both publications and experience with a relevant client group, providing research is something you really enjoy.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.