How do you dress for work?

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Tiggerman

How do you dress for work?

Post by Tiggerman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I find I am getting bored of picking clothes suitable for work. When I started working as an AP in a child and adolescent service I had come from working in Adult services, so wore trousers and a shirt or formal top, now I notice some psychologists wearing more casual clothes in the child service i.e. knee boots. I have a few dresses I bought for starting work but now feel I would be over dressed! How does everyone dress for their work?
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 am

Trousers and shirt (of the loud variety). I used to get a little anxious about my appearance when starting my first voluntary AP position. I dressed-up to compensate for my dreadlocks but, frankly, after having seen and worked with loads of CPs now, I think you can pretty much wear anything. Well, almost anything. I've never had a problem with my dreads but I continue to dress up. I'm one of the most dressed-up people in the hospital now, but I enjoy it. Do whatever makes you smile!

othello

Post by othello » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:16 am

I always wear trousers/top/cardi type outfits. But having said that I think it does depend on both your style and the service. I'd probably wear more dresses if I had a figure for them!

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 am

i wear smart trousers and shirt - its a bit harder for guys to keep on the smarter side of smart casual, so i just side with smart.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 am

I think dresses are fine. Personally I try to avoid anything provocative (no low cut tops, no high hemilines and nothing too figure hugging), I also avoid "power dressing" so if I wear a suit it is usually a soft fabric, coloured not black. I also avoid being too casual, so no denim and nothing with a logo (this is probably in your Trust policy in any case).

I usually go with a pretty skirt, shirt and cardi with shoes or knee boots. Very pedestrian I know, but I try to minimise impact for the families I work with - being too "classy" or expensively dressed can be intimidating or alienating.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

h2eau

Post by h2eau » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 am

It's also about wearing whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident (within reason!) rather than conforming to what other people wear :) There is much variety in what people wear depending on the service they work in, trust dress code, personality, etc.
We deem those happy who from experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them ~ C.G. Jung

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 am

othello wrote: I'd probably wear more dresses if I had a figure for them!
Funny! I'd wear more trousers if I had the figure for them - for my two bob'orth, I'd say that dresses are much easier than trousers for the more, ahem, shall we say 'feminine' figure (please substitute pear-shaped, curvy, tubby-hipped as per preference!) :lol:

Why, oh why, is there apparently no call for shops to sell trousers for people with tiny waists and a substantial trouser-peach? I know you're all out there!

Not that this is related much to dressing for work :oops:

damnsaiyan

Post by damnsaiyan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Trousers and shirt. Not much variety for men!

heatherb

Post by heatherb » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Depends on my mood really, or what the day ahead entails.

If it's a patient day, then nothing clingy/low cut/short - Rampton are quite strict about this, understandably.

If it's a non-patient day I might wear a dress (a la today) or a skirt, but usually it's trousers, smart-ish top/shirt and a cardi.

Oh, and shoes that are run-away-able from patients... hah!

nyla789

Post by nyla789 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

The great thing about working in research is that you can wear pretty much anything - it's like being a student lol!

I often wear jeans, a top and a cardi to make it look slightly less student-ish :lol:

joanner

Post by joanner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:53 pm

workingmama wrote:
othello wrote: I'd probably wear more dresses if I had a figure for them!
Funny! I'd wear more trousers if I had the figure for them - for my two bob'orth, I'd say that dresses are much easier than trousers for the more, ahem, shall we say 'feminine' figure (please substitute pear-shaped, curvy, tubby-hipped as per preference!) :lol:

Why, oh why, is there apparently no call for shops to sell trousers for people with tiny waists and a substantial trouser-peach? I know you're all out there!

Not that this is related much to dressing for work :oops:
I am so with you! I hate shopping for trousers. They either fit snugly round the hips and gape for miles at the waist, or fit on the waist but you can't get your hips into them. I can rarely find a pair that fit, or I make sure I've got a thick jumper on so nobody can see how much fabric I've attempted to gather in with a belt. It's not attractive...

I think we need to start a hula hooping fashion so people slimline their waists more and therefore increase the demand for trousers which fit that incredibly sexy and healthy pear-shape figure!

Or, perhaps we should start our own fashion line? :wink:

We are blessed with a beautiful figure, we just need clothing manufacturers to appreciate it more and make clothes to fit us.
Once you know it, you can't unknow it...

noodle

Post by noodle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Totally agree about the trousers! Especially jeans as they all seem to be made for people with skinny legs and big waists - apple shaped! If I can get the bloody things up my legs then the waist is always HUGE!
I think I would feel to dressed up in a dress though...

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm

I worked as an RA in a uni before and used to dress in jeans/converse/whatever unless I was going out on visits. I do the same for uni days now I'm training, but for my placement I think it'll be trousers, cardi, top etc. I may even veer into the skirt territory soon (thanks for introducing me to dresses noodle, or we may never have reached this point!)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

chixta

Post by chixta » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:44 pm

noodle wrote:Totally agree about the trousers! Especially jeans as they all seem to be made for people with skinny legs and big waists - apple shaped!

NOT TRUE!! I am an 'apple' shape (with a bit of a belly and slimmish legs) and I have to buy trousers that are ridiculously tight on my tummy (so I undo the top button for work!!), because larger trousers are too baggy on my legs or wrinkle in a very unflattering way at the front!! And as for jeans, I cant wear skinny jeans at all, because they are either too baggy or too tight on the belly. I have to go for gangsta style low slung jeans.

I think the issue here, is that shops assume that women all have bellys in proportion with legs or vice versa and dont cater for alternatives except perhaps maternity wear (and although they may be more comfortable, I refuse to wear maternity clothes when not pregnant!!! :shock: :evil: )

othello

Post by othello » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:01 pm

chixta wrote: I am an 'apple' shape (with a bit of a belly and slimmish legs) and I have to buy trousers that are ridiculously tight on my tummy (so I undo the top button for work!!), because larger trousers are too baggy on my legs or wrinkle in a very unflattering way at the front!!
Yep, me too. The too tight buttons are unflattering as is the flowing extra material around the hips...I just can't win!