Inheriting the Hoard

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
baa

Inheriting the Hoard

Post by baa » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:44 pm

http://inheritingthehoard.wordpress.com/

This is an essay by a man who had two parents who were hoarders, it's really interesting and quite sad. READ IT

His partner has written a blog on the process of clearing out their house after his mum died http://milbetweenus.blogspot.com
At least I'm not as mad as that one!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Its interesting that he has a tendency to hoard himself and is therefore finding it hard to sort through the stuff and get rid of a high enough proportion. I can empathise with that a bit, as I tend to accumulate stuff. Not on that scale of course, but I do collect various things, and tend to keep orphan buttons, shells and pebbles I've collected, and anything with a sentimental connection.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

xxuviolkd

Hey, I'm that guy's girlfriend. Really.

Post by xxuviolkd » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 am

Hi. I am Greg's girlfriend, Sidney.

At almost the inception of "the project" I began blogging about our experience. Hannah's "Inheriting the Hoard: Greg's Story" does a great job showing the pain of our story: I try to smile through the tears on my blog. It can get a little silly, but it has been a wonderful emotional outlet for me, and so many people have shared with us that they, too, are touched by hoarding in their own lives.

Read Hannah's wonderfully written version, then PLEASE come smile with us at My Mother-in-law is Still Sitting Between Us."

milbetweenus.blogspot.com

Seasons' Greetings, everyone.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:11 am

I tried to read some of the blog, but its kind of confusing. First of all there are loads of adverts and links that make it quite hard to read visually, and secondly there is so much that is off-topic. Although in principle it would be quite interesting to read about this process of decluttering (which is familiar to us from a show called Life Laundry) that turns out to be quite a small proportion of what you've written and interspersed with loads of posts about Glee, and church bells, and the cat, and your life more generally.

I'm also puzzled why you'd come here and join a forum for people wanting to train in clinical psychology just because baa mentioned your story. How did you even know that had happened? What is the motivation to getting more people to read the blog? Does it benefit you financially somehow? You must be tracking referrals very closely, and frankly that is as odd and intriguing to me as your mother in law!

But hey, you do use the word embiggen unironically (as if it is a real word, not one made up on the Simpsons) and the photos of the hoard are worth wading through for...
Miriam

xxuviolkd

Post by xxuviolkd » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:44 am

Miriam. No financial gain to be had, and I do appreciate your feedback on the asthetics / readability of the blog itself.

It is scattered, as many of us can be. Certainly me. And my style is indeed not for everyone, but I'm glad you gave me a try out.

If I overhaul the blog format, I will try to streamline, but I am concerned that if the established readers tune in and notice a big cosmetic difference, they will abandon.

Best to you.

xxuviolkd

Post by xxuviolkd » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:48 am

And, Miriam, congratulations on your 23 pounds lost since July. That is a wonderful accomplishment! Happy New Year!

baa

Post by baa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:58 am

Oh! Hello!
miriam wrote: I'm also puzzled why you'd come here and join a forum for people wanting to train in clinical psychology just because baa mentioned your story. How did you even know that had happened?
I think there's a thingy in blogs that can tell the blog owner where a link is posted and how many people are viewing if when directed from a link in another website - like when you lot looked at photos of my lizard, The Bf could tell that a proportion of views came from this site and some from another forum I post on.

I always find it fascinating what people keep (as well as their underlying beliefs about why they keep such random stuff) - like the Collyer brothers who had 8 pianos in their house, amoungst other stuff!!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:25 pm

My in-laws always seem to have twice as many cars as drivers..."just in case"
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

baa

Post by baa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I think the "just in case" is the hoarders equivalent to the GAD persons's "what if..."

ETA: I dont have any adverts... it might be because I have everything adblocked and noscripted. Handy programs ;)

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 pm

The more I do this job the less diagnostic categories make sense to me :lol:
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

jade

Post by jade » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:37 pm

The essay is a really facsinating read. I'm just about to start on the blog.
Have you ever thrown a fistful of glitter in the air?

baa

Post by baa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:40 pm

80% of people with one anxiety diagnosis have co-morbid diagnoses, so meh. The transdiagnostic stuff is interesting. And v sensible.

I found it easy to read the blog, but I did start at the earliest post and am working my way up til now, it makes more sense that way as you can see the sheer amount of progress made.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Ahh, maybe from the beginning and with noscript and adsubtract it would be a more coherent reading experience. From the top right now you have to wade through loads of clutter...
Miriam

baa

Post by baa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, the blog is about decluttering a house, so I figured starting at the beginning made sense ;) Otherwise you don't know how it was at the outset.

jade

Post by jade » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:05 pm

I started from the beginning too. the blog is fascinating!really documents what they went/are going through. the emotions and how G is reluctant himself to get rid of things.

incredible story.
Have you ever thrown a fistful of glitter in the air?