Irrelevant Experience: Secret Diary of an Assistant Psych

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Will
Team Member

Re: Irrelevant Experience: Secret Diary of an Assistant Psyc

Post by Will » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 pm

I was thinking of passing it on to my mum as a bit of an insight into why I was such a nightmare for that few months!
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
gsr491

Post by gsr491 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Will wrote:I was thinking of passing it on to my mum as a bit of an insight into why I was such a nightmare for that few months!
I downloaded it and am also passing it to my mum!

Pink

Post by Pink » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:39 pm

I read it in one day too! Excellent read Spatch and what an incredible achievement-you should be very proud right now! Found first half very funny (really did laugh out loud at several points, and couldn't put it down) and the second half good fun, and was really impressed by how well you captured that pre-training period (I was in a shared cupboard as an assistant!). It didn't read like a first novel either, lovely assurance to your style. Looking forward to the sequels. Would be a good gift for several people I know if you could bring out a paper copy before Christmas? Do stick it on Goodreads so we can link it for our book groups.

Maybe when a few more people have had a chance to read it you could do a Livechat 'ask the author'? I was curious about how you portrayed your male characters (don't want to give away any spoilers so leaving it at that). I was also really moved by the way you captured some of your protagonist's experiences-without wanting to give away any spoilers I was touched by your insight into and compassionate rendering of some uniquely female experiences.

Excellent job! (and thanks for the mention!)

warm best wishes,

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Really great to hear the feedback folks. I am really surprised people are reading it in a day, as its over 100,000 words.

I had never really thought about a paper version, as I genuinely thought this would only be of interest to a dozen or so APs, but I did a bit of research, and found that Amazon do a Print on Demand version. The good news is that it should be relatively straightforward, but the bad news is that it would be more expensive than the e-book version (I had tried to keep it as cheap as possible as I know APs and psych grads don't have huge amounts of money). However, it can't hurt to have the option I suppose, and it's only just a little bit more work for me.
Do stick it on Goodreads so we can link it for our book groups.
I tried using the link, but it didn't work for me. I may have to do a fresh page for it, but will definitely link it.
Maybe when a few more people have had a chance to read it you could do a Livechat 'ask the author'?
I would be more than happy to do this, perhaps in a month or so after more people have had a chance to read it. However, what I am planning to do on my blog is a "Spotlight on..." series about the various characters and set up. Mainly it was as a directors commentary on the process, but representations of men in the novel are one of the issues I was going to talk about.

Keep the feedback coming. I appreciate you have already done me a massive favour reading it in the first place, but it would be really good if those of you who have read it could put a customer review on the Amazon.co.uk website (even if it is just a line or so), as there aren't any currently there.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

hannahbubble

Post by hannahbubble » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Reviewed :)

CatBells

Post by CatBells » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Loved it!

Can't work out how to review on amazon (not using my phone, at least) but have left a rating and review on goodreads, and like others will be passing on to friends and family members!

ell

Post by ell » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 am

According to Amazon 'Irrelevant Experience' is now number 1 best seller in the category 'Applied Psychology'. Doing well!

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:07 am

According to Amazon 'Irrelevant Experience' is now number 1 best seller in the category 'Applied Psychology'. Doing well!
Ahem :oops:

I think that's because its not been put in the appropriate categories in the initial category selection (It's definitely not biographical fiction for starters, as that is normally about historical fiction about real people), and applied psych is normally textbooks. Thanks for drawing this to my attention, and I will try to get it sorted today.

Thanks for all the reviews now coming online for all of you that have listed them on Amazon and elsewhere. Very much appreciated.

One final thing that I wanted to ask the community was about how people felt about me linking the book in my signature. I am in two minds, because I have been a member of this community for about 5 years and I don't want it to become a place of self-promotion, so would favour restricting my discussion to this thread. However, I have been around long enough to know that many just pass through and may possibly never check this area of the forum (especially around application/interview season where they may only visit the Clinical Application Process forum or even just the annual progress thread).

That said, I really don't want to alienate anyone here, so would be interested to hear what people think.Also, I am planning to go through official channels and pay for a banner ad, because I figure I at least owe the forum some form of financial contribution after all the time I have spent on it.

If I am being honest, I find the whole "promotion" thing a bit awkward, and not really me. However, I have mentally reframed it as "training" for the days where I have to use those skills to promote the "Clinical Psychology" brand to purchasers and commissioners in the future. :P

Pink

Post by Pink » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am

Spatch wrote:One final thing that I wanted to ask the community was about how people felt about me linking the book in my signature.
Do it! I for one would never have known about your book had you not done a little bit of plugging on here, and am really grateful that you did: we do mean the good feedback you know! I totally get why you might feel shy about it and it isn't easy to feel that you have to 'plug' things, but as you say it's like clinical psychology-we have things that people would want, it's just uncomfortable (and dammit, not british :wink: ) to say so! People really do want to read your book, and you're doing them a favour by letting them know about it. Honestly.

looking forward to the blog updates: intrigued to hear more. Also, Justine has really stayed with me: a really sympathetic rendering, I was really moved by her.

bw

Pink
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

bex4010

Post by bex4010 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:47 am

Whilst I understand your concerns or thoughts on 'self - promotion' I completely agree with Pink and would say "do it!" do it, do it, do it! I have always enjoyed and valued your contributions to the site and love your style of writing so I will certainly be downloading this come payday. Congratulations on completing and producing your first book and good luck with it and future projects :D

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am

Firstly - congratulations Spatch!

I've just put my iPad onto charge so I can download this tomorrow!

Also whilst reading the preview I noticed you acknowledged many Clinpsy-ers (including myself!) which is very kind/thoughtful of you - so thank you!!

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:30 am

Now that I have Wifi in my new house, I'll be definitely getting this on my Kindle.

I got ridiculously excited when I read a book with a minor character who was a psychologist (and when that character talked about Schema Therapy) so I think I'll definitely love this book!

chixta

Post by chixta » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Cool, I've been stuck in babyland for too long - cant wait to buy and read!!! :D

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Bought this last night, and am halfway through already. Absolutely love it so far and I will definitely be reviewing on Amazon! Also thinking about writing up a brief review for the Trust's Psychology newsletter, and I'll definitely be talking about it at my next Assistants meeting!

Congratulations Spatch!

The Mouse

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for the ongoing support folks. It's good to hear the book is going down well. I will report the sales figures when they are calculated at the end of the week. Advanced warning that they're probably not going to be huge, but I am just happy its out there.

Interesting comment was made to me last night, about the book probably going to be read by psych graduates, APs or people on the scene (preaching to the choir as the commentator put it). However, the tough part will be breaking through to the mainstream. I have put a Facebook page up, so people can spread the word easily and make it more visible to chick-lit readers who may not be on psychology networks:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irreleva ... 9822035759

That said, what I think would be great is that if it wasn't the only book out there of it's kind. I would really like to encourage anyone reading this to consider writing their own fiction about working in mental health/psychology. If we could make it a genre of its own in some way I think we stand a better chance of hitting the mainstream. Again, I would be happy to provide support, mention projects on my blog and spread the word if someone else is planning something along those lines.