Great reflections on family dynamics with FXS/ID/ASD

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
firegal
Team Member

Great reflections on family dynamics with FXS/ID/ASD

Post by firegal » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Sorry couldn't think of good subject title but a friend recently sent me this link

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ ... -nightmare

and I just think it's a beautifully honest reflection of family dynamics in general, and more specifically with a sibling with intellectual disability and the challenges of trying to support someone in their ambitions without losing sight of their needs.

I'd be really interested to hear other people's thoughts on the article :)
Really need to see this documentary now.

Victoriomantic

Re: Great reflections on family dynamics with FXS/ID/ASD

Post by Victoriomantic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:40 pm

firegal wrote: just think it's a beautifully honest reflection of family dynamics in general, and more specifically with a sibling with intellectual disability and the challenges of trying to support someone in their ambitions without losing sight of their needs.
Well said, and interesting read, thank you. Was good to see that trip helped them notice and explore other issues amongst the family rather than 'just' their brother's needs or difficulties.

Will
Team Member

Re: Great reflections on family dynamics with FXS/ID/ASD

Post by Will » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:03 pm

I really enjoyed reading that - refreshingly honest and normalising about difficult dynamics within families. I'll keep an eye out for the documentary!
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis