Putting together a book proposal...feedback wanted!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Will
Team Member

Putting together a book proposal...feedback wanted!

Post by Will » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:42 am

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together a book proposal and have been in discussions with some publishers about it. The idea is for a text based on professional issues around training in clinical psychology, being particularly aimed at aspiring and trainee clinical psychologists who are interested in the process of developing a professional identity.

I have some chapters already from contributing authors, which provide critical reflection on the role and the challenges/tensions involved in specific challenges. I think that focusing on professional issues which aspiring, trainee and newly qualified CPs might face in their role (e.g. Supervision or risk assessment) offers the opportunity to reflect on the issues, the development of professional identity and how this fits in with wider contextual factors.

I'd hope this would be of interest to those preparing for assistant/dclinpsy course interviews, however I'd love some feedback at this early juncture to support and guide conversations with publishers. Does this sound like a text you'd be interested in at this stage of your career? What would you particularly looking for in a text like this?

Thank you!
(and thanks to Miriam for letting me post this on here!)
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Victoriomantic

Re: Putting together a book proposal...feedback wanted!

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:24 pm

This sounds really useful to me :) It sounds like a really useful book to prepare people for the environment and different issues we may face. Will there also be proposed solutions to these issues too? Predictions of the future/other changes that may be upcoming etc.?

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 pm

I definitely think so. I know for myself, I have been working through a number of issues related to this career stage, such as: power differentials within the supervisory relationship (the need for a good reference), forging a professional identity without any certainty that you will get to work in this profession, tensions of working with other professions who may have some issues with psychology that are easier to take out on more junior members of the profession...I could probably go on! A text that would take an honest look at these kinds of concerns would probably be very normalising and would hopefully provide some structure for reflections.

hearspeaklisten

Post by hearspeaklisten » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 pm

I think I would find this personally really helpful.

I particularly think being able to read other people's experiences of a difficult situation and reading how they reacted/how they would do things differently/best practise could provide good support. I think this could be especially helpful when people are working in teams or having supervision that may not be led by Psychologists along the way.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks guys - very helpful!

Would it be okay if I use your comments (anonymised obviously) in further communications with publishers? If it's a problem at all just send me a PM :)

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:38 pm

No problem :)

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Not a problem! I like the others' ideas too.

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:17 pm

I pulled together some similar ideas for a book proposal actually...But mine may have been more aligned to narrative accounts of different individual stories. If you're in early stages and looking to possibly buddy up, then give me a DM or tweet etc. I've got a whole structure lined-up and thoughts on possible authors, but it sounds like there could be potential to amalgamate our ideas and come up with something quite personal, meaningful, but also applicable... ?

Just let me know!

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi again,

Just to follow up on this, I'm planning a couple of new chapters for this; one around self-care and resilience, and one focused on the value of reflecting on our own mental health in relation to working in psychology (and the challenges this can bring). If anyone fancies collaborating, send me a PM :)