Things you've learned at work today

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Esuma

Re: Things you've learned at work today

Post by Esuma » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:28 pm

What EMDR actually is! There was a very interesting psychology seminar at work, definitely going to do some more reading

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm realising that I might actually be more anti medical model than I thought I was. The debate of whether someone has bi-polar, schizoaffective disorder, or BPD is somewhat interesting and I understand it might influence how you approach the problem, but I'm starting to realise that changing the label doesn't actually change the problems that person is facing.

Also, I'm starting to already feel like I've heard the letters ASC too much after 3 weeks in CAMHS. In some cases I'm sure it fits and I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up sooner, in some cases I just genuinely do not think it applies, and in others I can kind of see where people are coming from, maybe, but find myself questioning the usefulness of adding yet another label. It just feels like people have tried to attach it to every case we've seen. Who knows, maybe every young person with a mental health problem does have undiagnosed ASC? I'm certainly no expert.

Lots of stuff to think about!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:39 pm

In our unit we rarely get to see huge leaps and bounds in progress. People are often discharged to other mental health wards, still under section, rather than going home. Discharges can happen abruptly - a patient will be waiting for weeks for an acute bed or a low secure placement and when one comes up they're gone within the day. This means that we don't always get the chance to make a good ending. I had planned a nice final evening activity for a patient who was due to go to a low secure unit and she was so upset to be leaving and so afraid of the future that she sabotaged it. I was able to have a brief conversation with her about her fears and hopes, in which she did become calmer and appeared to reflect positively on the progress she'd made with us, but I still left the ward feeling a bit deflated that my plan to 'end well' with her hadn't worked out. I am learning how to adjust my expectations when necessary, without taking it personally when my initial hopes aren't realised. I'm also learning to measure progress in a different way from how I saw it when I was working in acute and community settings. This is giving me some interesting things to chew on about myself, particularly my tendency to want to save the situation and help people make dramatic changes for the better. This can't be gratified in my current setting, and I'm being pushed to consider why it's so important for me to want to do that.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 am

I'm bumping this thread up again.. as it's so nice to be able to reflect.

This is from yesterday, I learnt what functional motor disorder/functional fatigue is and how it affects individuals and the adaptions I need to make in order to support a patient with this condition.

Ariel89

Post by Ariel89 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 am

This is a great idea.

My reflection/learning today is:
I am fallible. I am able, and indeed allowed, to get ill, to make mistakes. I had a lunch break today, people who know me well could tell I'm not well, or a little off my game. That's fine. It's probably a good thing for people to see, that leaders, too, get tired. Also need a break. Or that the standard isn't so incessant.

The second, is learning how to spell fallible!! :lol: