Tribute / Thanks thread

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
chapter2begins

Tribute / Thanks thread

Post by chapter2begins » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:57 am

Hi. I am starting this thread for anyone who wants to pass on their thanks to someone for completing the doctorate, their thesis, or any other Psychology related feat! (apologese if this has already been done somewhere else on the forum - couldn't find it!)

I will kick start with my own thank you post ...

I am writing this post because this month marks the end of an era! An era which started in November 2011 when my first son was born.

A week after his birth I submitted my application form for clinical training.

Fast forward to March 2012 and my first interview. My wonderful son, then aged 4 months, accompanied me. I largely hid him from view of course staff (fearing a baby in tow may count against me) - sneaking breast feeds in the toilet between interviews, and handing him to hubby to walk around the campus when I was studying my vignettes!! My son was there to share the sadness of not getting offered a place by said course! But was also around for the tears of happiness when I was offered a place at the uni I eventually chose to start my DClinPsy journey at!

September 2012 and I started my doctorate course. A couple of months later and my son joined me, transferring to the uni nursery! We shared many long journeys to campus together, and many unhealthy snacks after long days of study or nursery rhymes (that’s me with the study by the way! … although I quite like the odd nursery rhyme too!)

Over the next 3 years my son was always with me to share the highs, the lows, the stress and the joy of the clinical doctorate. He may not have understood entirely what I was doing, but he knew when mummy was happy, sad, stressed or overwhelmed, and he not only coped and put up with me, but was the reason I kept going.

My son was around for every essay, every case report, every placement, and every cohort event! (perhaps not always in person (although sometimes!), but always in spirit!) And, when his brother was born in 2014, my two wonderful boys joined forces to support their mum, when it should most definitely have been me supporting them.

Two weeks ago I attended my graduation ceremony, and last week my son started primary school.

Our DClinPsy journey has ended, and a new chapter now begins.

This post is a tribute and a thanks to my son. May our next chapter be filled with fun and happiness, and may mummy support you this time. You deserve it. We did it little one! :)

xx

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Toria

Re: Tribute / Thanks thread

Post by Toria » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:49 pm

This is so lovely and a wonderful idea for a thread, so thank YOU! Huge congratulations to you and your family :) I will post my own thanks here when I'm not on a rocky bus, but wanted to acknowledge your beautiful post.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Princess86

Re: Tribute / Thanks thread

Post by Princess86 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:19 pm

What a beautiful post!