Is this strange? How would you react?

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Misfit

Is this strange? How would you react?

Post by Misfit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi,

I attended a Trust Induction today for my new job and the speaker asked if there are any Psychologists in the room. A lady who I know is an Assistant Psychologist, raised her hand. What do you think of this? Is it strange? It would be interesting to know which role you work in, to those of you who reply. I am not a Psychologist or Assistant Psychologist by the way, but it did strike me as odd when the lady put her hand up. Then again, "Assistant Psychologist" does imply that the person is a Psychologist in some form x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Is this strange? How would you react?

Post by BlueCat » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:20 pm

I wouldn't think it strange. She's a psychologist. If the speaker had asked "qualified psychologists" or "clinical psychologists" then maybe. I find it stranger the speaker asked this question at all......what was the context?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Misfit

Post by Misfit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:43 pm

BlueCat wrote:I wouldn't think it strange. She's a psychologist. If the speaker had asked "qualified psychologists" or "clinical psychologists" then maybe. I find it stranger the speaker asked this question at all......what was the context?
I think it was a discussion about different services and the roles that different professionals play in them

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 am

I was also in a trust induction yesterday where that question was asked and me and the one other assistant I could AP didn't put our hands up but I pondered it and wouldn't of thought twice about raising my hands if she had!!

Interesting question though because at work I would say I work for psychology etc

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:17 pm

It is interesting. I think I would have the same reaction as Randomswirls. It's difficult because as an AP you feel like you 'belong' to psychology as a field and are on the path to becoming a 'psychologist'. So on one hand I would feel like I should raise my hand. However, in this job there's always the danger of stating you're an 'assistant psychologist' but people only hearing 'psychologist' and thinking you are more qualified than you are. Due to this I think we're taught to be more cautious about using the term Assistant Psychologist and to make sure to explain the difference between an AP and a CP to people who might get the terms confused. I think this could lead to some hesitation when describing yourself as a psychologist?

That's just my thought anyway!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

reishi

Post by reishi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 am

Outside speakers in our lectures in my master's class often ask this question to get info on our background. I imagine it helps them to direct the course of lecture and determine which details they should cover.
I'm more used to this term because anyone with a bachelor's in psych is esteemed "psychologist" in my country, so I simply raise my hand. My classmates hesitate sometimes though.
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."