What's in a name?! Help needed with terminology!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
mazzz123

What's in a name?! Help needed with terminology!

Post by mazzz123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi,
I'm new into a non-psychology team. One of my roles is to upskill the staff team to improve psychological mindedness and skill. I have been asked to do some 'teaching sessions' on psychology and mental health related topics. Only I'm not sure what to call these sessions. I don't like 'teaching sessions' as I want to reflect the fact these are very experienced practicioners (depsite them having an entry level understanding of psychology), and because I think sessions positioned like this might meet some resistance. Also, I don't just want this to be a didactic session, I'm keen to include discussion, reflection and so on. SO - ideas for names please!
Seminars? Masterclasses (probably not)? Learning sessions? Go!
Sadly no prize available for the winner - just kudos! ;)
Thanks,
Mazzz

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: What's in a name?! Help needed with terminology!

Post by Geishawife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Could it not be described as CPD? After all, they are developing new skills. Whilst the sessions might not carry CPD 'points' they are still a development opportunity.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:05 pm

I also work into a non-psychology team as sole psychologist too (social services), and terminology is veeeeeeeeeery important, as there's always a weird line to walk between being seen to offer something different, but also respecting the expertise (and sensitivity) of my colleagues. I tend to call them workshops, or focussed discussions, skills development or skills updates (these last ones are great as they imply they've already got good skills). CPD session as suggested by Geishawife sounds good as well.

Another example of weirdness around language I have encountered is with the term supervision (absolute no-no for me). This, it seems, is very threatening to my social services colleagues as it implies management scrutiny and judgement. When I do what I would term "psychological supervision" with my colleagues, we call it case discussion (if it is around understanding a case) or reflection (if it is around their personal responses to their case)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

mazzz123

Post by mazzz123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

Some great ideas which have got me thinking. Thank you! Much appreciated.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:04 pm

You're right, names are important. There's no better way to facilitate ownership of a group then asking the group members themselves to name it.