Finding a Space for Oneself

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Mikel Arteta

Finding a Space for Oneself

Post by Mikel Arteta » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently penning an article for a psychotherapy site and the current article I am working on is all about finding a space for yourself (clients and us), which could be therapeutic, supervisory or spaces outside of this environment, which could be anything from a space at yoga to a silent space sat on a mountain...I'm sure you catch my drift. And it's about the benefits of this.

I have a few articles and of course as I am writing a narrative am using my own experiences/anecdotal evidence. I was trying to find a definition of 'therapeutic space' but haven's come across one, anyone know of any? Also, does anybody have any relevant articles that discuss the benefits of having a space, therapeutic or any other type of 'space'?

Anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards - Mikel
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Finding a Space for Oneself

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:57 pm

The thread title immediately reminded me of Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own, which isn't quite what you're looking at, but has some themes showing the importance of personal space. The second thing that popped into my head is a memoir of recovery from anorexia by Grace Bowman, originally titled A Shape of My Own (but unfortunately reissued by the sensationalizing publisher as Thin). The idea of space and self-discovery play an Important part in her writing - she has subsequently done more academic work on sensory experience in mental distress which might be interesting to look into, as it relates to the experience of physical place. I'm sorry not to be more helpful and specific, but I've not read anything on your exact topic!
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Lingua,

Thank you very much for your reply, this is really helpful :) I'll definitely take a look at Virginia Wolfe's piece, sounds very interesting :) And Grace Bowman's work also sounds relevant, I'll check this out too :)

Thank you. And I'll post a link when it's up on the site!

Cheers - Mikel
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

hs577

Post by hs577 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 pm

I think Casement - learning from the patient and Anne Gray - the therapeutic frame would be good key texts :)

HedleyLamarr

Post by HedleyLamarr » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm afraid I don't have anything helpful to share but your article sounds really interesting - would you be able to add a link here when it's published?
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.