Goal setting resources

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
firegal
Team Member

Goal setting resources

Post by firegal » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Hey guys, don't know if anyone else struggles with this but I find it really difficult helping people identify therapeutic goals. It is something I've taken to supervision and I do use the magic questions and SMART goals and those bits. Just wondering if people have particular favourite techniques/resources/worksheets for this, especially those aimed at a CAMHS setting.

stephenkingfan

Re: Goal setting resources

Post by stephenkingfan » Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm

I used the techniques you gave listed the reasonable affect (with clients in a substance misuse servoce). Another approach could be asking clients to consider their values. I find this helps to provide a direction for people, which makes it easier to then think about what their goal might be. I also think if a person can connect their values to a goal, then the goal becomes more meaningful to them, rather than just a thing we are asking them to do. Don't know if if that's helpful, but that's helped me.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm

I was at a meeting training the other day when there was a suggestion of a daydreams group so thinking about goals from people's dreams and take it from there

nettyb

Post by nettyb » Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I don't know whether this is the sort of thing you're looking for or not, but I really like Goal Attainment Scaling. It's great for being able to break down a goal and see the steps the client identifies would be them moving towards the goal based on where they are now. I think it could work quite well in CAMHS, take a look at this and see if it's the sort of thing you're wanting:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/research/divi ... -Guide.pdf