Typical speaker fees

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
mungle

Typical speaker fees

Post by mungle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this so went for this section - happy for it to be moved by moderators.

I'm looking to estimate costs to bring in external speakers to give a talk/workshop at an event that would be open to people from external organisations. I imagine there will be variety in what fees different people can command. I'm looking for academic or clinical speakers with a regional or national reputation, but not necessarily global psychology super-stars (although that would be great!). Does anyone have an idea what a fee might be?

Thank you.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Typical speaker fees

Post by BlueCat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 pm

I've only limited experience, but in my experience if people are charging, it would start around £250 for a half day and go on up into the thousands. Usually, speakers will expect their travel expenses, and if they are coming from a fair distance, their accommodation and subsistence, to be covered also. The best bet is to contact a few people you may be interested to invite, and ask them about their speaker fees. I don't know what your topic is or when you are planning your event, but it might be worth researching the movements of people you are interested in - if they are international mega stars and in the UK for other events, they may be willing to tack yours on, and you wouldn't be out of pocket for international flights!

If it is a free event, it is possible that local academics or clinicians may present without a fee, especially if it is an area in which they have significant research interest. They would need their travel costs met, though.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

mungle

Post by mungle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks Bluecat - I'm bidding for the money at the moment and creating a budget. It would be a free event and would be hoping to draw people to attend but also reliant on some good will! We are very unlikely to be able to afford mega-stars.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 am

I give guest lectures/workshops two or three times a year on average. I always ask for travel, food, and accommodation costs to be reimbursed. The speaking fee depends on the organisation's resources (I'm hardly going to charge a small volunteer-run charity through the nose), but as a general rule I want £150 for a half day and £300 for a whole day. It's best to ask your invitees what they usually get. They may also be happy to adjust their fee according to your resources.

(I'm relatively well known nationally in my particular field, but I'm not a mega-star, so hopefully these figures will be about right for the sort of people you're inviting!)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

mungle

Post by mungle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 am

Thank you - that's really helpful.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 am

I've typically asked for about £100 per hour, plus travel and expenses, though I charge a little more than that if I'm providing the whole training event myself and often less if it's an event where I'd like to hear the other speakers. I try to be flexible enough to be affordable for local and non-profit events and organisations. I'm fairly well known in my field these days, but early on I'd do it for expenses only, just to get free CPD and the experience - and I'm pretty useless at claiming expenses!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

mungle

Post by mungle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks Miriam - being able to afford someone at your level would work great!