Assistance please - should I accept PWP trainee position?

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
BriggsM1993

Assistance please - should I accept PWP trainee position?

Post by BriggsM1993 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi everyone,

In some serious need of assistance.

I am an aspiring clinical psychologist and after previous experience as an honorary AP and some support work on inpatient units, I became a part time AP a year ago which I love however I really need a full time position to earn a little bit more money. Therefore, for the last 6/8 or so months I have been applying for full time AP positions and have had around 6 interviews with no success. I therefore thought of a back up plan and applied for the PWP trainee course and after interview in June was placed on reserve. I then continued to apply for AP positions however am now not even having any luck at getting to interview stage with either no response from employers or a straight rejection.

Then a few days ago I was contacted by an IAPT service regarding my reserve place and they have offered me the position as a trainee PWP which will start in October.

I am now lost as to what to do. Should I take this opportunity and train as a PWP or should I continue applying for full time AP positions with a hope that I could be successful at some point.

I will be applying for the clinical psychology doctorate either way in september.

Has anyone got any thoughts or tips as to what would be the best?

alexh

Re: Assistance please - should I accept PWP trainee position?

Post by alexh » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:53 pm

A bird in the hand is worth...?

Lots of trainees have been PWPs. The experience seems to be considered valuable by selectors. It also gives you an alternative career route to the doctorate.

Have you tried picking up additional AP work in different teams in the same trust, or bank AP work?

BriggsM1993

Post by BriggsM1993 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 am

Do you know where I can look for bank AP work?

alexh

Post by alexh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:05 pm

In your trust there'll be a staff 'bank', it may have a different formal name like temporary staffing solutions.

It's how staff take on extra shifts and the trust fills gaps, like an internal agency system. Your colleagues should know how you access it. It should be very easy to find support worker shifts. Organising AP work on bank may well take a combination of networking with psychologists and registering. I would've thought your supervisor could try to help get you linked up with other teams to fill the rest of your time, especially if the alternative is you leaving. Do they know that it is difficult for you doing part time?