Make it interesting...

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
lakeland

Make it interesting...

Post by lakeland » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 pm

I have some information to present in about a month to a senior person in a different profession. It's an update of a new service, probably with some data and a discussion of the external evaluation. The advice to me from the senior person was to "make it interesting!"

Please could people share experiences of presentations / workshops / teaching etc that has managed to make what could be a dry PowerPoint presentation into something interesting and engaging! Thank you :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Make it interesting...

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:28 pm

Based on what you've said, I'd pepper it with anonymised stories about clients' experiences with the service and how it has benefited them. Depending on how long you have to speak, I'd go with three stories: one to illustrate the service's main impact (which you open with), one to illustrate the challenges the service navigates successfully (somewhere in the middle), and then perhaps an anecdote highlighting what you have found most rewarding and interesting about being involved (a good note to end on). You need to choose each story carefully and structure it well (rambling anecdotes will kill off the interest very quickly!), but I've found good storytelling very useful for making quantitative data come alive and for helping students/workshop attendees to grasp my main points. I do have a few other ideas for engaging an audience, but if it's a presentation for just one person they wouldn't be any good to you, so I'd stick with the story approach.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Thank you Lingua, I think that's the way to go. I probably need to include some data, but the more I can weave in the voice of the service user, the better. Maybe I'll do a one page summary of the data rather than a laborious Powerpoint.

sarz27

Post by sarz27 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

I would tend to agree some interesting case studies would help the person to "humanise" the service a bit more and understand better what your successes and challenges look like on the ground.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:22 pm

I was taught to think of both hearts and heads - to give facts and the emotional hook. If you've got a video of something relevant or a case testimonial about the impact of your service, that can really liven things up.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare