Health Psychology doctorate without an MSc in Health Psychology

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Ygrimmador

Health Psychology doctorate without an MSc in Health Psychology

Post by Ygrimmador » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am

Hi there,

Is it possible to study the professional doctorate in Health Psychology with an MSc in Cognitive rather than Health Psychology?

I have been steadily working towards a career in Clinical Psychology ever since first studying the subject 9 years ago. I'm now in a position where I've completed an MSc in Cognitive Psychology, worked for a number of years as a support worker and VAP for people with acquired brain injuries and neurodegenerative diseases and I have applied to clinical doctorate training the last two years.

Last week I was working on the IPU and met a Health Psychologist who was doing work with one of the patients on my ward. We got to chatting and I found myself inspired by the work that they did.

Due to this I've been investigating whether I should consider the training in Health Psychology rather than Clinical, however, most of the entry requirements stipulate an MSc in Health Psychology. My query is, does anybody know if it will be possible to gain entry to professional doctorate training for Health Psychology with a non-Health Psychology, but still Psychological MSc?

Many thanks!!

Ygrimmy

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Northernlad

Re: Health Psychology doctorate without an MSc in Health Psychology

Post by Northernlad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi ygrimmador. If you check the BPS website it stipulates that to become a chartered health psychologist you need to take a society accredited MSc programme in Health Psychology, unfortunately. I’m not aware of any alternatives. I completed a health psychology MSc programme and we were advised that the course was a mandatory component to progress to stage 2 training.

NL

Ygrimmador

Re: Health Psychology doctorate without an MSc in Health Psychology

Post by Ygrimmador » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi NL,

Okay, no problem :-) thanks for the reply!

All the best,

Ygrim