Evidence for clinical psychologists

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
hawke

Evidence for clinical psychologists

Post by hawke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:49 pm

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any evidence for the effectiveness of clinical psychologists? Not about therapy/psychological services in general, but specifically about the job role in the UK or similar countries. It's purely for curiosity, and the laziness of not conducting my own literature search!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Evidence for clinical psychologists

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:44 am

I doubt there will be anything much out there, because studies focus on the efficacy of very specific interventions, and clinical psychology is made up of such a wide patchwork of skills and approaches that it would be quite challenging to assess the effectiveness of the role itself. It would be like asking "Are nurses effective?" or "Are police effective?" - they all do such a variety of things in their role that it would be difficult to select one single measure of efficacy. But as the components of CP have been shown to be effective, it's logical to argue that the role is effective.

The only other thing I can think of is to look at clinical audit data for services that have regular CP input and services that do not and compare the patient outcomes. You'd need a fairly big data set, though.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:19 pm

I saw this recently:

https://www.facebook.com/21238619545976 ... 345420365/

So might turn out some interesting results!

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am

Thank you both. I will definitely check out that study when it's published, esuma. I was really hoping that someone had done the audit/research you suggest, lingua, but it seems not. Future research I'd love to do!

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 am

I saw this on Twitter a while back:
ClinPsy.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.