A post-election idea

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
lingua_franca

A post-election idea

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm reeling after this election, and frightened, as I expect many of us are. Rather than give into the temptation to bury myself under quilts and cats and not come out for five years, I'm thinking of ways that I could try to make things a bit less awful, at least for some people.

I'm thinking of setting up a small charity to fund or at least subsidise evidence-based therapies for vulnerable people who would otherwise struggle to access timely mental health care. Up until now I've just been donating what I can afford to two local charities that provide therapy, but I'm not sure this is the most effective way, because these charities keep having to close their waiting lists due to the high level of demand and their exclusion criteria are by necessity very strict (e.g. only for people with X diagnosis, or only for people with Y diagnosis and no comorbidities). I thought it might help more people if there were to be some sort of database of clinicians in private practice who are willing to take on clients on a sliding scale, and for the costs to be met by a charity dedicated to this.

I have reservations about the idea (I love the NHS and it hurts that I'm even mooting ideas to provide a service outside of it) but I know so many people who have suffered horribly under this government and who are set to suffer more. I want to do something.

I have some experience as a charity trustee, but it's still a daunting idea, so I thought I would reach out here and see if anyone is willing and able to help in any capacity, or if other people have any ideas for what we might do to reduce the awful and increase the kind.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

lingua_franca

Re: A post-election idea

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Update: I have just discovered that a network of therapists offering free or low-cost treatment already exists, the Free Psychotherapy Network. They rely on individual therapists to volunteer their services, though. I'm going to contact them to see if some fundraising might enable their members to offer more free or low-cost places.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Re: A post-election idea

Post by miriam » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:35 pm

I was also thinking about what more I can do to make life better for vulnerable people in the UK in light of the election results. My ideas were mainly lower down Maslow’s hierarchy though. I wanted to identify some families below the poverty line for whom we could buy Christmas presents, school shoes or food items they couldn’t normally afford.

I’ve previously donated to Hope not Hate and other charities after negative election results but this time around I had seen so many heart rending clips of “ordinary” domestic poverty I wanted to try something different.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com