Swine flu - proposed changes to the mental health act

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Ruthie

Swine flu - proposed changes to the mental health act

Post by Ruthie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm a bit bored at work today (last week, seriously winding down and DNAs) so I've been reading around the news. I cannot believe this story. Basically, the DoH have proposed that to cope with staff shortages during a pandemic flu outbreak, only one doctor's signature will be necessary to detain someone forcibly under the Mental Health Act.

How completely inappropriate and risky for people and doctors! It's frightening and frankly damning that the DoH thinks it can make cuts in managing the most seriously distressed and vulnerable people in mental health settings. I'll also add that any doctor detaining someone under the MHA should *want* the second opinion of a colleague - it protects doctors and it protects patients.

Anyone else have an opinion!

Ruthie (feeling quite ranty for a last week on placement!)

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:45 pm

thats absolutely unbelievable, even from someone as naive as myself.

Im assuming that these are just being proposed at the moment, and not actually being pushed through the houses (im not a FT member, so cant read the whole story)