The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
miriam
Site Admin

The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by miriam » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:16 pm

I was thinking recently that most of the threads on this forum are questions of some form or another, with other people coming along to give answers of some form or another. However, as psychologists we know that sometimes people are not ready for solutions and just want to have feelings acknowledged, or some empathy for their situation, so I wanted to find a place for that on the forum. As someone who tends to leap straight to solutions, I'll try to restrain myself from offering any advice here!

It can also be a space to vent if the application cycle is getting to you, or if you are finding something about life or work annoying or distressing, or if the system of selection for the profession seems unfair, or whatever. Sometimes it is nice to just get feelings into words and expel them into the ether.

So, do post on this thread if you don't want advice, but do want a place where you can say how you feel without other people coming on and telling you what action you ought to be taking if you were a perfect little psychology clone.

Feel free to say what you think. It doesn't have to be logical or reasoned. Obviously it wouldn't be appropriate to name and shame individuals, courses or organisations, but apart from that think of this thread as a virtual stress toy, or padded room!

I'll set the ball rolling with a loud GRRR for being put in situations where I'm manipulated because I find it hard to say no when people ask for my help. In the latest example either I do something that isn't my responsibility or it doesn't get done and colleagues and families suffer the consequences. I've got better things to do than make up for deficits elsewhere in the system. GRRR.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
damnsaiyan

Post by damnsaiyan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Hm, interesting idea!

For me it's got to be lack of jobs. I counted it up recently and realised that I've applied to 70+ jobs in the past few months. I've had a handful of interviews (under 10), which I know should be a good sign, but it's so frustrating not getting the jobs. I think I would prefer not having an interview at all than going for some and getting rejected. Personally, I know what areas I need to improve on in interviews - i.e. selling myself more, but it can be quite disheartening at times. The jobs are meant to be about getting experience and developing yourself, yet the very reason you get rejected is because someone has more experience!! I can't keep doing voluntary work forever :roll:

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Great idea Miriam :thumright:

I am feeling hostile towards a certain group of individuals ATM. In the interests of not naming and shaming, I can't say who or in what context; suffice to say though that some people have very funny ideas about honesty and transparency :x :evil:

On a less scary note, I am well pee-ed off today that, despite me being on national TV last night - BBC1 no less!! - and getting my mug on camera SEVERAL times in half an hour, not a single person today has chased me down the street demanding my autograph :wink: :P
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

mungle

Post by mungle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Choirgirl - wow, there was a singer in a red-dress on atniques roadshow last night? Can I chase you down this forum?! :lol: :wink:

I'd like to rant about sodding final work in the final grrrrr last blumming run of this grrrr degree. I'm an Open Uni student and am just about to finish my degree. I have a job now so should feel very lucky but am sick to my back teeth of coming home from work and ramming my head against study, study, study.

RANT at examiners who don't say what they mean in assignments and AAAARRRRRRGHHHH to endless revision notes and worries over what questions might come up. Grrrrr to the lack of a proper week off in three years due to studying, studying, studying.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

and Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh to the freedom that is nearly in sight.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mungle on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Aside: Sorry, not Antiques Roadshow - close though :lol: Unfortunately I don't look that much like my avatar!!
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm

im a little bit frustrated with life, i really want it to get going but at the same time keep hitting the very obvious realisation that im very young and im doing very well for myself at this time - essentially, i want to grow up and be a real person :) but keep realising that being 21, i have to just keep plugging away

rox

Post by rox » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:55 pm

The number of missed appointments. Here I am spending yet another afternoon twiddling my thumbs and feeling angry on behalf of everybody on my extensive waiting list. These appointments were all arranged on the phone within the last week :roll:

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:03 pm

Mungle, I feel your pain. Am doing the OU cognitive psychology exam in less than 3 weeks, have post viral fatigue (a posh way of saying I had flu and am taking ages to feel better), have given myself RSI in my wrist from writing too much and am worried about going back to work after time off. Also am tired of listening to myself whining!

Not the best state of affairs to be grappling with consciousness, connectionism, concepts...on the upside at least most of the subjects I am revising start with a C so I am more likely to remember them ;)

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:05 pm

Can we whimper rather than rant?

I've just started a doctorate course at the same time as splitting up with boyfriend of 3 years - I always did have appalling timing but this one takes the biscuit. By the look of the workload and imminent placement I haven't time to be having a personal crisis!

BKx

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:09 am

Getting referrals for very extensive assessments when I am due to be leaving my post very shortly and have no free slots, but also knowing that no one will be replacing me for a good few months and thus feeling bad! GRRR.

Also, relocating. GRRR.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

charley

Post by charley » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 am

Having to be sociable and eat lunch with a student when i just want to hide in my office, eat a sandwich and read 'Heat' magazine :(

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:13 am

Bad Kitty wrote:Can we whimper rather than rant?

I've just started a doctorate course at the same time as splitting up with boyfriend of 3 years - I always did have appalling timing but this one takes the biscuit. By the look of the workload and imminent placement I haven't time to be having a personal crisis!

BKx
Sounds stressful, my sympathies.

(((Bad Kitty)))

[for those less sad and geeky than me, that's a 'virtual hug']
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

CatFace

Post by CatFace » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Sympathies and virtual love to all!

Having to work my socks off and be my most charming self, mainly doing 'PR' to promote the psychology dept I work in when all the medics and consultants think we just swan in and out when we please due to lack of funding and access over the past year - and all for problems that were not of my doing, in a post I am handing over to someone else in a month!

baa

Post by baa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Opt in letters: yes, it's lovely that they're working and people are now turning up to their appointments, but oh the DNAs used to actually give me some space to breathe. Tues: 6 patients, Weds: 6 patients, Thurs: 3-6 patients, Fri: 3 patients :lol: :shock:

DrFurbs

Post by DrFurbs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 pm

This really annoys me off.

Im a 3rd year psy student and those in my class who continuously lie about their exam and essay/practical results to make themselves look than how they actually doing.

I pride myself on my honesty and never ever lie about my uni work ( simply cos Im doing quite well) :D ,but why lie about it? This really gets on my goat.

Also, you know that one student in class, usually the older guy/lady whom chat in a obfuscation type manner? GRRRRR....

This image sums my feelings up quite well when I hear this...