The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:00 am

I hate feeling like I've been manipulated by someone else to score them points. Any form of ill-feeling or hidden agendas in professional or personal relationships makes me want to head for the hills, so its very frustrating when it is someone you can't avoid.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Beggarsroost

Post by Beggarsroost » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 pm

If you are 'sorry to see me go' and have 'really valued my presence on the ward' they why did you not privide me with appropriate and adequate supervision for over 7 months!?!?!?!? This is why you will continue to lose good, motivated staff.
Life is far too important to be taken seriously

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 am

Both my voice recorders are missing, probably pick-pocketed, unless I was stupid enough to leave that pocket on my rucksack unzipped and they just fell out (unlikely). They are absolutely NO use to any thief but indispensable to me!! Now I need to ransack Bethlehem to find replacements. :evil:

Oh, and my treasured opal ring fell from my finger somewhere in Jerusalem and I couldn't find it. Hasn't been my week. :(
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

GingerOwl

Post by GingerOwl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:17 pm

When can I start my new job which I applied for in MAY!? I wanted to get a few months of working as an AP under my belt before applying to the doctorate again :(
~ * Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'! Audrey Hepburn * ~

Biggsy1988

Post by Biggsy1988 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:56 am

GingerOwl wrote:When can I start my new job which I applied for in MAY!? I wanted to get a few months of working as an AP under my belt before applying to the doctorate again :(
I hear you GingerOwl! Got a verbal offer for a post in June. Similar situation to you wanted to be in new job for a while to have some new reflections for doctorate app this year. My woe is I am so close to the end as all my pre-employment checks are complete (I think was told just waiting on DBS and that is now done), just waiting on HR to sign me off...but the person who was handling my case has gone on extended leave not giving me any indication as to where I am at in the process or who is dealing with me from now on. Ever since getting my offer I have been so excited and obviously really eager to get stuck into my new role. Doesn't help when near enough everyday I have people asking me when I am submitting my notice :(
When it comes to dreams one may falter, but the only way to fail is to abandon them - Alexander Grayson (Dracula 2013)

reefflex

Post by reefflex » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Pink wrote:I have been thinking about powerful female archetypes, searching for an archetype that combines strength, wisdom, compassion, gentleness and courage. Almost a warrior, or a goddess, maybe a priestess-something inherently female and powerful, but that tempers strength and courage with wisdom and gentleness, compassion and love.

It sounds cool right? and you'd think it would be out there. But EVERY SINGLE google image search (female warrior, amazon, goddess, powerful woman) is of some scantily clad female fantasy figure, because god forbid we have a powerful woman and don't objectify her or reduce her to a sexual fantasy. It makes me so angry!! I cannot find one image of a powerful female figure of any kind that isn't either exaggeratedly sexualised, or else fits the 'crone' part of the maiden/mother/crone triumvirate. Is women's power still so threatening to the kyriarchy? Seriously. In 2014, this is all that we have? Our culture is SO. SCREWED. UP.
How about the Bride from Kill Bill?

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:41 am

People. Just stop being incompetent!!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:44 am

I think Hunger Games and Divergent have tried to make female lead characters that are tough, smart and compassionate, but both of them feel a little forced, and involve women who are prepared to kill. I watched the latter last night.

I'm always horrified how few films pass the Bechdel test (for those what aren't familiar: "does this film have two or more named female characters who speak to each other about something other than a man?") when it seems such a low threshold.

Did I already suggest the main character, Sen/Chihiro, from Spirited Away? Leia from Star Wars was pretty good, particularly for her time. I also love the princess in the first episode of Shrek, and her true form. Frozen also has a pretty good main character, and a challenge to the usual Disney cliches of love at first sight. And of course Buffy had the most brilliant dialogue, as well as a kick-ass leading lady. Joss Whedon's female characters are usually great, so the Firefly girls have a lot to offer in this regard also. He is also great at talking about this topic, if you search on Youtube.

Finally, I assume you are aware of http://www.amightygirl.com/
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:28 pm

I have been thinking about powerful female archetypes, searching for an archetype that combines strength, wisdom, compassion, gentleness and courage. Almost a warrior, or a goddess, maybe a priestess-something inherently female and powerful, but that tempers strength and courage with wisdom and gentleness, compassion and love.
Totally random sample of non-sexualised figures.

Samus Aran from Metroid
Ree Dolly from Winter's Bone
Shceherezade from 1001 Nights
Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

However, the internet being what it is will sexualise anything regardless of the creators intention. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has a mock up of Captain Hook in a bikini out there by now.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

aspiringpsych

The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by aspiringpsych » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:40 am

I have had it right now with job applications and interviews and rejections and getting no feedback and spending hours and hours writing and thinking and reflecting and trying to be better and now being told that it's not even a rejection it's the post office held my application even though it was posted well in advance and they aren't giving me an interview because it was late even through they acknowledge it was posted on time. Just the icing on the cake. I know it's my fault I KNOW and I know I am just one out of hundreds and I am just a speck but this whole thing is driving me insane and I really wonder what am I doing anymore... I have a hit an all time low

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Street harassment. :evil: :evil: :evil: I was walking along and a man in a car yelled at me, "Eat some food, b*tch, you have no ass." Thank you, kind sir, I've spent the past fifteen years struggling to maintain a good consistent weight but without your thoughtful advice and attentions I'd never have noticed. Sorry my backside doesn't live up to your expectations, which of course are the first things I consult when I go out into the street.

Unrelatedly, I killed my plants by forgetting to water them regularly. They were beautiful too. :(
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:00 pm

lingua_franca wrote:Street harassment. :evil: :evil: :evil: I was walking along and a man in a car yelled at me
You should have taken the registration and reported it. It's a criminal offence, the police would have knocked on their door and they wouldnt do it again! (Speaking from a friends experience)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:01 pm

lingua_franca wrote:Street harassment. :evil: :evil: :evil: I was walking along and a man in a car yelled at me, "Eat some food, b*tch, you have no ass." Thank you, kind sir, I've spent the past fifteen years struggling to maintain a good consistent weight but without your thoughtful advice and attentions I'd never have noticed. Sorry my backside doesn't live up to your expectations, which of course are the first things I consult when I go out into the street.

Unrelatedly, I killed my plants by forgetting to water them regularly. They were beautiful too. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened Lingua. I had a friend who struggles for years (and still is), and had to deal with many similar comments. Im not proud of it, but i almost got into a few physical fights with people because of their perception that their opinion of my friends weight was somehow Godly and should be obeyed! Body shaming on any level is so wrong, and people really don't understand the damage that they can cause with such callous throw away remarks. I hope that you feel better soon :hugs:

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:17 pm

How DARE you refer to my daughter as "that little Jap kid"??? Is this or is this not the 21st Century?? Words absolutely fail me!!

Glorianne

Post by Glorianne » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:28 pm

My jaw literally dropped when I read your post Geisha. I'm sorry that it happened x