The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
Pink

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by Pink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: APA style, 6th Edition. :evil: :evil: :evil:

why do they even need to control this stuff?!! Gah, I fully accept that people who do not know the difference between a colon and a semi-colon should be appropriately chastised, but inherent control-freakery of the APA speaks to something pathological lurking in their psyches. Why do we buy into this behaviour and thus legitimise it?! And why, oh why, are there SIX editions?! Don't these people ever have fun?

and yes, I recognise that this is all my fault for not learning the bl**dy manual. It just doesn't help right now.

humph.
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

Toria

Post by Toria » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Pink wrote::evil: :evil: :evil: APA style, 6th Edition. :evil: :evil: :evil:

why do they even need to control this stuff?!! Gah, I fully accept that people who do not know the difference between a colon and a semi-colon should be appropriately chastised, but inherent control-freakery of the APA speaks to something pathological lurking in their psyches. Why do we buy into this behaviour and thus legitimise it?! And why, oh why, are there SIX editions?! Don't these people ever have fun?

and yes, I recognise that this is all my fault for not learning the bl**dy manual. It just doesn't help right now.

humph.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck Pink!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Pink

Post by Pink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:19 pm

aww thanks Toria-you made me laugh! Thus lessening the pain slightly..

:) :) :)
Kintsukuroi: 'to repair with gold'. the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.

@Sushipink22

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 pm

miriam wrote::( Gutted. Especially as we'd love to have you over this way, and have a mixture of paeds, court work and LAC sessions available. I'm still up for meeting up and seeing if we can set up something creative though. On an unrelated but happier note, we do have two adorable cardigans I was going to send you (same design but in two consecutive sizes).
It is feeling more and more tempting! How much do you want for the cardies?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Was just going to make them a gift, but didn't have your address, so PM me.

BTW, come to the launch event on 1st March and see what we are up to :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Really sick of being looked down on for getting an education.
Your comments of "Ooooh la-di-da miss university!" are actually in many ways pretty hurtful. When I try to suggest ways of adapting care for a service user with autism it's not me trying to prove how much smarter I am than you, it's because no other staff member in this place has any real experience or knowledge of working with autism and I am trying to be helpful!
Also can you please stop talking to service user X as though she's 3, she's a grown woman who has had a stroke, your tactic of telling her off whenever she swears had done nothing so far except to make her get more frustrated and angry, maybe it's time to give something else a try, perhaps start at treating her like an adult?

Gah, support worker frustrations. Please please don't make me go back there, any other job, but not that home again, 4 years is enough.

(These were all frustrations from returning back there over xmas, was made to look back on them because as money gets increasingly tight and part time work at uni is not as forthcoming as I'd hoped I may end up facing the possibility of having to go back for a month over easter to earn the money to see me through summer. Not fun.)

sar302

Post by sar302 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm

My one year anniversary of being an AP today and I celebrated it by facilitating the most difficult meeting of my entire career. I know that a year ago, I would never have managed to get through that meeting alive - let alone facilitate it - and for that I am both proud and truly greatful.

But you are a hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful hateful, hateful, hateful person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Never assume that the other fellow has the intelligence to match yours... he may have more...

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 pm

If you are promoted to a more senior HCA position on a ward, that means you should have MORE responsibility, and use your position to help other people on shift. You should NOT sit on your a**e all day shuffling papers, pretending to work and avoiding all 1:1 obs, while there are HCAs in restraints for an hour and others not getting breaks because you don't want to do any work!

The Mouse

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Please, total stranger, do not tar all dog owners with the same brush. Yes, I know it's disgusting when you tread in dog mess. I don't exactly enjoy doing it myself. But to describe all dog owners as "oiks who should not be allowed in public places" is going too far. You could clearly see that I was in the process of picking up after my dogs, as I ALWAYS do, so having a go at me for the actions (or, more accurately, the inactions!) of others is grossly unfair. And whilst we're on the subject of what is deemed social or anti-social behaviour, I would hardly classify shouting at me and giving me a mouthful of abuse in a public place in front of my young daughter to be SOCIAL!!

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:47 pm

I HAVE NOTHING THAT I WANT TO EAT.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

WHY HASNT NHS JOBS SAVED MY APPLICATION INFORMATION? :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :evil: :evil: :eye: :cry:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

rsp

Post by rsp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 am

Why do people find it entertaining to dangle job opportunities in front of others and watch them run rings knowing its never going to happen?! ITS NOT FAIR AND ITS JUST MEAN :(

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

No Orange, I have no suddenly gone from 16 months of using 250-400 texts out of 500 a month to using 800+ in the last 2 months, giving you justification to charge me £90 instead of £35, I rather suspect you have a problem with your system!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Followerofdreams

Post by Followerofdreams » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Geishawife wrote:Please, total stranger, do not tar all dog owners with the same brush.
I totally agree! I hate it when people have a go at my dog for being naturally curious and people friendly when he goes up to say hello.
I don't think I ever knew this thread existed but so need it today, ok here is my rant or could be rants who knows by the time I'm finished:
I am sorry, that I do not want to go to your wedding! It does not make me a horrible person or a bad friend just means that we have moved on with our lives. I sometimes wonder how we were even friends after the all the arguments we've had over you thinking "psychology isn't a real subject and isn't a worth while career".

Yes, I feel that we haven't had time to prepare for an exam but you know some of us have to work alongside a MSc and travel back and forth across the south coast.

Why is it always up to me to make arrangements or notify people of things? Haven't other people got the ability to write an e-mail?

Personal rant at myself- really why are you concerned with the opinions of others who you couldn't care less if you never saw them again... it doesn't make any sense! What has happened, has happened for a reason. Plus you have never been happier so why worry about those that have made you miserable. You are free!

Wow that does feel good! Also a bit of emotional processing revision. Thanks guys

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm

People who DNA two appointments, ignore the opt in letter then ring up to ask for more appointments when they get a discharge letter - grr!